Donations to Discovery

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I Would F*ck Me... A Study in the Perils of Self Assessment


One of the funniest and most attention getting commercials I've seen recently is the Norelco Electric Razor commercial starring a guy named Mark Simpson.....

Storyline....

Shaggy haired bearded heavy chest haired guy starts out looking in the mirror beginning the monumental task of grooming himself and does a quick self assessment from the mirror's perspective and replies hesitantly...

"I'd wink at me?"

He shaves off a little more hair and says....

"I'd pop a bottle with me."

This process continues until our modern day former shaggy Cave Man has become a well groomed good looking stud at which point he looks in the mirror with surprise and exclaims...

"I'd f*ck me."

Here's this hilarious 30 second spot no doubt destined for the Commercial Hall of Fame...

http://youtu.be/YVNRKqWfb-U

This commercial is on National TV broadcast so they obviously bleep out the "fuck" part but it's obvious what the guy says.

This is probably one of my favorite commercials of all time for 2 reasons...

1. The commercial is for Norelco... A brand name that's been around forever and one that, from my memory and perspective, has always had a kind of old fashioned stodgy air about them. This commercial is obviously controversial and cutting edge and in your face bold... I mean come on... How many commercials do you see where the pitch man says the word "fuck" in the commercial. So it's a successful and radical divergence from Norelco's past advertising approach.

2. I can't help but associate my own process of "body grooming" with that of the guy in the commercial in that I have undergone a body makeover over the last 3 years that has taken me from a fat and swollen 216 to a lean, ripped, cut to bone, "swole" weight of 168. Obviously, there's a huge time and effort difference in grooming facial and body hair and losing nearly 50 lbs of body fat. But the evolution of self assessments is uncannily similar.

The interesting part is the juxtaposition of my final self assessment vs how the world sees me...

At this point and present body condition, I could look in the mirror and say...

"I'd fuck me!"......

Problem is the Feminine World is looking at me and saying...

"Fuck You... I'd NEVER Fuck You!"

At least that's the experience I've had.

Interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment