Donations to Discovery

Friday, January 16, 2015

Riding the Rail Trail... My friend Art... My other friend Paleo

Been in a pretty good sleep cycle in Santa Fe....
Going to bed around 8:30 Mountain and waking up at 6:00 - 6:30.
My body has needed the rest.... to repair itself from the severe groin tear back in August and a right knee injury I suffered while moving in December.

Besides lots of sleep, part of my prescription for all things requiring repair is to just ride a bicycle.

There's something about riding a bicycle that makes you feel independent.... You're going somewhere under your own power not relying on anything or anyone.... just you and the pedals and 2 wheels.... and the road or trail beneath you.

This first pic shows the Santa Fe Bikeways and Trail Map.

You can see the "Rail Trail", one of the hike / bike paths that cuts across the city from North to South beginning at the Santa Fe Railyard just off Guadalupe and Montezuma and going all the way out the South end of town crossing I25 on the way to El Dorado...
















In the above closeup of the Bikeways Map, you can see my route from my casita north of the Plaza to my various points of interest - Anytime Fitness on St Michaels, Zia CrossFit on Siler off Cerillos and Trader Joe's on Cordova off St Francis.

Besides being a fast way to bike around Santa Fe, it kinda sounds like a John Wayne movie....

Wheh ya going Hondo?

I'm taking the Rail Trail to El Dorado..... and ain't nothing gonna stop me.

Ok Back to 2015 Wills.....

It's a fast way from the Downtown area to Anytime Fitness where I've been doing the PIYO Strength class with Liz P 2 or 3 mornings a week.  Doing a 20 minute 5 mile sprint in 28 degree weather and then an hour of Power Yoga / Pilates and then another fast 5 miles back is a sure way to keep the metabolism revved up and the muscles stretched out, supple and ready for the next CrossFit Blast.

And here's a real life pic of the "Rail Trail" on the section between St Michaels and Alta Vista headed north.


As you can see, besides the snow along the path and the incredibly blue skies, there's some pretty nice graffiti on the back yard wall of the adjacent adobes.


Got back to the Casita and decided to do my ALL IN ONE Skillet Breakfast Blast....

I started with 1/2 sweet onion, 1/3 red bell pepper and 1 poblano pepper seasoned well with my not so secret African - Moroccan spice mix.


After 3 minutes of hot saute and turning and flipping, I added a diced yellow squash and zucchini.


This is Paleo cooking so you gotta have some protein!

For this I did 2 slices of Trader Joe's Turkey Bacon and 1 link of TJ's Spicy Jalapeno Chicken Sausage.


Diced the proteins and added a ring of shredded carrots and 1 diced jalapeno to the mix.


Decided that wasn't enough protein so I added a half a chicken breast, diced it up and seasoned it heavily with salt and pepper.


Added the chicken breast and 3 beaten eggs seasoned with about 8 glug glugs of Tabasco and enough salt and pepper to stop a heart or make you sneeze.


Added a slice of TJ's Monterey Jack cheese for some fat....


And added some halved grape tomatoes for color and acidity.















You know.... I started thinking.... I could probably teach a Paleo Cooking Class in Santa Fe....

Hmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment