Donations to Discovery

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Taking the Next Step.... Don't take it for granted...


As I wrote yesterday, I'm taking the next step in my quest for better range of motion, pain relief and long term treatment of my left knee.

I spent some time today with Dr Hudson, an orthopedic surgeon in Lake Jackson. I got a lot of specific info that I needed and was thoroughly impressed with the good doctor. Can't speak to his surgical credentials but can say he has a great bedside manner and spent a lot of time discussing the status of my knee and future options. Not good news but not unexpected. My left knee is a mess with only 3mm or 30% of the original thickness of cartilage left on the inside portion. 10mm on the outside which you can imagine makes it high on the outside and low on the inside so it's crooked. Hell I knew that - I can look at it and tell it's crooked.

Recommendations - No impact exercises, No running, No weightlifting.
Walk, Bike, Swim only.

My first thought - Fuck that.

My less reactive response to the good doctor....

My knee hurts when I sit or stand or walk. I like to bike but not around here. And I can't swim. Ok I can swim... Like a rock.

The ONLY time my knee is pain free is when I'm exercising INTENSELY which puzzled the good doctor but is the absolute truth. If I could exercise 24-7 I would because it would mean my knee wouldn't hurt.

But.... sigh.... Not possible.

He says at the rate I'm going I'll go bone to bone in 8 - 10 years at which point the pain will be unbearable and I'll have to have a knee replacement.

He actually commended me for a "heroic effort" in my fitness and weight loss in the quest for better health and pain relief.

But Time and Circumstances catch up with us all...

So be it.

So I got a cortisone shot which should help with the swelling over the next month or so and I got some literature and we discussed future injections of Orthovisc which is a viscous, slick fluid that helps lubricate the knee joint.

So what am I changing?

Not a damn thing.

In fact, if anything, I'm gonna intensify my workouts and continue my strict Paleo diet.

Another interesting fact...

Every pound of weight loss reduces the impact on the knee joint by a factor of 10..

So 1 lb of weight loss = 10 less ft lbs of force on the knee joint.

So I'm going even lighter.

That's my decision and my plan.

So after I got home from the doctor I threw together another great Paleo meal...

Starting with some chopped kale and zucchini.

Make a base of spring mix and kale...

Do a 4 minute per side cast iron skillet grill on a pork chop and several stalks of chopped asparagus.

While that's going, do a 4 minute boil on some eggs for this and future meals.

And the results are a beautiful and nutritious meal accompanied by a fruit punch Creatine and Fresca mix.

That's why I love eating Paleo - huge volumes of food that give you plenty of energy, don't leave you feeling heavy and bloated and most importantly, you still lose weight.

So I finished up with lunch, worked a few hours and then headed to a hot Boot Camp.... Everything was outside. High cardio intensity.

After Boot Camp, I spent some time talking with a like aged friend of mine from the class. One of our common perspectives about being in our 50s is that we have become less patient of undesirable or negative situations and more protective and selfish of our own time and interests.

At this point, you are closer to the end than the beginning and your perspective becomes one of making the most of what you have and what remains.

Interesting conversation.

Unusual that I talk to someone with such strong and heartfelt opinions similar to my own.

And a process check on my decision to press forward with my regularly scheduled fitness program vs playing it safe.

At home with the Voice finals...

And a dinner omelette.
Holmes Pork and Venison sausage, ground turkey breast mix, poblano and jalapeƱo peppers, asparagus, sweet onions, garlic and squash.


Reduce heat and add a couple of well seasoned scrambled eggs and cook till eggs done.

And plate and accompany with Creatine, Fresca and Sangria wine.

Add a diced mango, sliced strawberries and red grapes for a little sweetness to this savory dish....

And there you have it...

A day of great food, disappointing news, decisions and an enlightening conversation....

A Great Day of....

Discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment