Donations to Discovery

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My 2 Cents on the 3 CrossFits in the Brazosport area...


Lemme tell you first off, I'm a tough customer.

By that, I mean, I expect good customer service...

Unique concept these days, but I'm old school.

Lemme tell you second off, I mean no disrespect or disparity to any of the businesses referenced in this post.

This is simply an accounting of actual events, experience and information.

And when it comes to gyms, workout facilities, exercise programs, I have even higher expectations because I have a high benchmark, Family Fitness in Lake Jackson Tx....

http://www.family-fitness.com

IMHO, I would put it up against any small town (< 50000 population) gyms / fitness centers in the country and most of the big city gyms and franchises.....

But I digress.

This post is about my short term, first impressions of the 3 CrossFit options in the Brazosport area:

CrossFit WMD IN Angleton Tx.
http://crossfitwmd.com

CrossFit Fortify in Richwood Tx
http://www.crossfitfortify.com

Brazosport CrossFit in Clute Tx
www.brazosportcrossfit.com

For whatever reason, when I did my initial research on CrossFits in the area, I only got info on CrossFit WMD in Angleton, so I went up there to check it out on a Saturday.

I was greeted by Will Black, one of the co-owners.

Let me just summarize what could be a very long description of this first visit by saying that Will Black spent at least 45 minutes with me explaining CrossFit - it's history, basis and approach. This was followed by an explanation of the 3 Fundamentals Classes required before beginning regular workouts. Then description and demo of some of the basic exercises. I talked about some of my limitations, concerns, fitness goals, etc.  He listened and we discussed.  He talked about his background, qualifications, history of CrossFit WMD. In summary, when I left there, I was impressed with a highly knowledgeable guy who SPENT TIME with me sharing his Passion and Expertise.

Ok.... So maybe that ended up being a very long description anyway.

So I might as well make it longer.

By the time I got through with this FIRST VISIT, I was convinced that Will Black had forgotten more about Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Body Positioning and Proper Lifting Technique than I ever knew or wanted to know.

I paid for a 15 workout punch card for $150 (best deal of the 3 CrossFits) and scheduled my first Fundamentals Class....

And 14 classes later, I'm still there at CrossFit WMD and plan to stay....

Despite the fact that it's at least 7 - 8 miles further away from my house than the other 2 CrossFits....

And here's why....

I did my first visit to CrossFit Fortify pretty much the same way I did at CrossFit WMD. I picked a "non-busy" time and just showed up.

I was greeted by the Owner expecting to get the same pitch aka time and attention (customer service) I got at the competition.

The Owner was friendly enough, noticeably younger, and may have been the Albert Einstein of Exercise Physiology.....

But he didn't convey that....

In fact, he didn't convey much of anything.

I left after 5 minutes wondering why I had stopped by.

Fast forward 1 week and enter Brazosport CrossFit.

I stopped by on a Saturday at 11 am, pulled into an EMPTY parking lot with the Box doors wide open and 1 guy rowing his ass off.

Again, I'm the only person there.....

Beside the guy rowing.

So I walk in and start to look around....

At the equipment.... At the Box....

Expecting somebody to emerge from the office and ask me if they can help me.

Finally, Mr. Rower addresses me and it turns out he's the Owner.

Hmmmm.....

So I figure he's gonna stop his workout, towel off (cause he's sweating more than I do which is amazing in and of itself) and....

Talk to me about CrossFit and Brazosport CrossFit....

Cause I'm a potential customer.....

With money in my pocket and a desire to workout....

Cause I'm there trying to get some info and a feel of the place....

Does he stop to talk to me??

Nope....

He gets off the rowing machine and moves over to a 70# kettle bell and starts doing overhead swings while slinging sweat and a few strained half sentences of info at me.

Not sure what customer service, marketing or sales technique he was going for....

But it didn't work.

I tried to give my business to CrossFit Fortify and Brazosport CrossFit but they fell short of convincing me they wanted it.

So what's the moral of this little story....

Not sure....

But I'll tell you one thing....

You can be the smartest, most ambitious, hard working business owner in the world and if you don't convey the knowledge, information and passion you have about your business to your current and future customers, you may end up with a hobby instead of a career.

Think about it.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing happens til someone sells something. Some guys are sellers, some guys are just guys.

    Keep it up pop

    ReplyDelete