Donations to Discovery

Saturday, February 14, 2015

I like to see everything used up!

Kind of a strange topic but is an expression of one of my core qualities.

I hate to see things wasted.

I want to get the most out of everything I buy.

Maybe it's because I grew up poor.

I was taught to clean my plate....cause food was a luxury.

I'm serious.  I never missed any meals but food was an important asset at our house.

We didn't have much but we ate good.

So even now I can't stand to see somebody order something at a restaurant and then leave half of it on the plate.

I know today's portions are sometimes overboard but that's what doggie bags are for.

This extends to nearly everything I use in my life.

I shop carefully and with purpose and with the thought being that I'm gonna use whatever I purchase to the end of its intended life.

I get used to the fit and features of certain clothes.... to how they feel....to where the pockets are.... to what pockets I put certain things in.

I put stuff to the test and it doesn't fail me.... and I become loyal to it.

Sounds stupid but I want something I can count on.... that's reliable.... no surprises.

For example, I'm a big believer and user of Frogg Toggs..... I call them Poor Man's Goretex..... they're lightweight, compact, waterproof, breathable outerwear that's cheap... you can buy a coat and pants set for $60.  I won't go anywhere that's halfway cold without them.  I know that if I get in a bind I can pull the hood over my head, cinch it up around my face, stick my hands in the pocket and walk out of just about anywhere.  Did it in Yellowstone a few months back.

I find satisfaction in throwing away empty containers of anything.... coffee, vitamins, toothpaste, shampoo.... cause I know it's done.... it's used up.

Same thing carries over into my workouts...... I feel great satisfaction at the end of a CrossFit WOD laying flat of my back looking up at the floor heaving in huge gulps of air with every muscle in my body spent.....

Maybe that's why I continue to try new things....

To go to new places....

To try new foods....

Yep......

That's the way I wanna go out.....

I wanna be laying flat of my back.....

Not able to move.....

Looking up at the sky.....

Knowing I left nothing behind....

I didn't waste anything...

That I'm all used up.

No comments:

Post a Comment