Donations to Discovery

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

And speaking of the whole 9 yards....

Which I did in a previous post...
Know what it means and where it comes from?
You got 5 seconds which is not enough time to look it up on the Internet!

Time's up....

Giving it your all, putting everything you have into it, expending everything to accomplish a goal. 

Origin - WWII US aircraft machine gun belts were exactly 9 yards long.... When the pilots returned with no ammo remaining it was obvious they had been in a fight for their life and gave it....

The Whole 9 Yards...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards#section_1

2 comments:

  1. That was very interesting, I did not know that but let me tell you, the next time I hear someone say that term, I will ask them if they know how that originated. Thank you for that history lesson. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure - class is always open and I learn while I teach.... that's the beauty of it.... and thank you for the kind words. Bro.

    ReplyDelete