Donations to Discovery

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Self-Delusion vs Self-Improvement

Sometimes I have to ask myself why I do this blog because it takes a lot of time and some money to upload the pics and commentary real time like I try to do. 

I think there's a lot of reasons:

I love being Outdoors.

I love Nature.

I love Photography and the unique Visual Imagery that is part of being Outdoors. 

I love to Write and Express  my Thoughts. It's a Passion that I haven't explored for a long time and this gives me a Path for that Journey. 

This blog is a mechanism for documenting and preserving the memories of all the above. 

It gives me a way of communicating directly and indirectly with my Family and Friends. 

This one needs a little more explanation....

Believe it or not - I use this blog as a GPS tracker of sorts so if I get in trouble, they know where to start looking. 

Case in point, on my bicycle tour to Santa Fe NM, I decided to "take a shortcut" to Villanueva SP between Anton Chico and VSP in eastern NM. Long story longer, I got lost, at night and my cell phone went dead but not before I got a last call out to my wife telling her the situation. I was lost but OK and was spending the night out there and would find my way out in the morning. My wife immediately called the New Mexico State Police who routes her to the dispatcher for the local Sheriff's office who just happens to live in that area. My wife directs her to my blog and the last few pics on it and the dispatcher says "Oh yeah - I know exactly where he is.  If he hasn't contacted you in the morning, we'll go get him."

All's well that ends well as I was picked up by a truck full of young folks who were just riding around out in this desolation in the middle of the night and they transported me out to a gas station on I40. 

So this blog is a Tracker / Safety Net of sorts. 

The last thing I want this blog to be is a clothes line to hang life's laundry on, however there are times when it is appropriate and warranted to share thoughts and perspectives with loved ones. I try to respect the privacy of all involved but sometimes things are such that this blog is the correct venue. 

I love Music...I fail miserably at making it but do well at appreciating it. There is nothing New Under the Sun.... So no matter what you are feeling or what you are going through, there's probably a song and lyrics that will provide you some comfort and perspective. 
I look for those little pieces of inspiration everyday and share them on this blog. 

First and Foremost, this is a cycling adventure blog, so I talk tech and logistics on all things related to road and mountain bike cycling, touring, camping out, state parks, etc. 

I love Food. I love to Cook and I love to Eat. So again - the blog gives me a place to discuss that. 

There's a lot more I could add but I've got to get going.... So I'll leave you with this. 

I do this blog as a Program of Self Improvement.

It's cheaper than a Shrink and, in my experience, more effective. 

It is not an exercise in Delusions of Grandeur nor is it a mechanism for Getting Attention because let's face it - with 22 followers - it pretty much discounts those 2 notions. 

I get paid nothing for it so that's what it's worth. 

With that said, I am proud of this blog and the content and images that are presented on it. 

It is a Labor of Love.... And as we all know, those are the Best Jobs in Life. 

2 comments:

  1. You sure have a way with words. You and Vicki both always had that talent. You do it so well. I really enjoy your prespective on life. Keep it up. I am reading your blog. I am one of those followers. Your Sis Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Do this blog tell you how many followers too? If so …awesome!

    ReplyDelete