Donations to Discovery

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Finish last post...and a life lesson

It's perfect for a short tour where you just need a few
things for an overnight stay at a hotel or friend's house. 

You know - one of the things that I've learned is that you have to try new things out in stages so there's as few surprises as possible when you actually put the new items to the test. 

This is my first test of the racks

This message was sent using the Picture and Video Messaging service from Verizon Wireless!

To learn how you can snap pictures and capture videos with your wireless phone visit www.verizonwireless.com/picture.

Note: To play video messages sent to email, QuickTime� 6.5 or higher is required.

Which I still can't get over how massive they are. 
The front one shown above will carry 50# and the rear rack will carry 70# so theoretically I could carry 120# on these racks. 
I'll never do that but 60-70 is possible so it's nice to know they'll handle it. 

Anyway - I was saying this is the first test of all the new stuff. 

Next time I'll go out with my fully loaded Ortlieb rear panniers and a handlebar bag like I'd have for a Credit Card tour, i.e. No Camping Out - just motel to motel. 

Finally, I'll load the Old Bitch up with the Ortlieb front panniers and the waterproof rack bag carrying my tent, sleeping bag and mat. 

Like I said it's best to test things in stages so you can see how the bike handles and how you react to the different feel of it. 

Kinda like life - when you're contemplating a big change or a big purchase, do your research, your recon, take it slow and in stages and check out all the equipment for signs of stress and imminent failure. 

You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment