Donations to Discovery

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sausage and Potatoes... A Santa Fe Young Gun asks about Paleo... Swimming Upstream!

Decided to head to Anytime Fitness for one of  my Sunday "Make-up" workouts...

This is the workout where I do whatever work or bodyparts that I feel didn't get effectively worked in the previous week.

I didn't get started till later in the morning so decided to have a light "protein - carb" fuel up before the workout.

So I split 1 link of TJ's Sweet Basil Chicken Sausage and 1 small baked sweet potato.

I seasoned the sweet potato with a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon.


While the sausage and potatoes were grilling, I put on a half a dozen eggs for a soft boil....

That's about 4-1/2 minutes after the water starts boiling.

I eat a boiled egg anytime during the day as an easy protein supplement.


That's about 25g of protein and some good slow release carbs.


I was doing my stretching routine at Anytime Fitness - a combination of stretches, foam roller active release and LaCrosse ball active release.

I was tapped on the shoulder and turned around and pulled my earbuds out and was asked by a guy.....

"What kind of diet are you on?"

I replied "Paleo" and went through a brief description of the components of a Paleo diet and then he asked if I had any recipes and I went and got him a couple of "Discovery" cards and told him I put most of my meals on my blog.

We talked about some other elements of a Paleo diet and then went on about our own workouts.

This young man didn't look like he needed any help with his diet or his workout as he was Lean and Muscular.

He's what I call a Young Gun.... a young person (I consider anyone younger than 40 a "young person") that i would guess was in his mid 20s who was obviously working hard on his fitness and was willing to ask questions and perhaps learn something knew from someone older than himself.

This happens every once in a while and it makes an Old Man like me feel good..... about myself.....

And about life in general.

Knowing that there are those young people out there who are putting their time and efforts into something as beneficial as their own fitness gives me hope.

After all....

Nobody knows everything....

And sharing knowledge and experiences is part of passing it on.


When I got back to the house, I laid out  all the components for my next Paleo meal.


Spring Mix with tomatoes, carrot sticks, diced jalapeno dresses with balsamic, extra virgin olive oil and lots of seasoning.


There's the preseasoned salmon fillets.


And the seasoned kale.


After 3 minutes of dry saute in a hot cast iron skillet, I hit it with a little water....


And Cover....


And steam for another 2 minutes.


Out with the kale.... hit it with a little balsamic while it's still hot.


And in goes the salmon fillets and diced banana heavily sprinkled with cinnamon.


Skin side down for 2-1/2 minutes and then flip and grill for another 2 minutes.


Add add to the pile...

Grilled Banana and Salmon over Steamed Kale over Spring Mix with an extra 30g of protein from a Body Fortress Whey Isolate Chocolate Protein mix.


Beautiful Paleo Meal....


And the salmon is perfectly cooked....

Seared on the outside, pink on the inside and perfectly seasoned.


So.... Young Gun Anthony.....

That's the way I do salmon.....

Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment