Donations to Discovery

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Living in the Pain Zone

I've written about this subject before and have had many conversations about it over the last couple of years.

The bottom line is that I am always hurting.

If everything is OK and I have no injuries, then I'm stiff and sore from the workouts - whether it's my own or CrossFit or something else.

If everything is not OK.... like it's been for a long time now.... since last August, then I'm dealing with the pain of injuries.

I don't reveal this because I'm looking for sympathy or because I'm a Big Whiney Baby but I think it's important for people to know that....

I choose this Pain.

I make a Conscious Decision every day with every workout or activity to choose...

A Life of Activity.

A Life of Exercise.

A Life of Physical Challenge and Achievement.

At 52, that means I have to deal with Pain.

I have to make a decision every day with every workout as to far I will venture into the Pain Zone.

I've been in the other Pain Zone.

The Pain Zone experienced from a Sedentary Life.

I was there just 5 years ago.

I sat in front of a computer 10 - 12 hours a day, didn't eat right and exercised infrequently.

And it got to where I couldn't walk because my knee hurt so bad....

And I couldn't stand up straight because my back hurt so bad....

My pain was debilitating.

So one day I decided  to Change my Pain.

To substitute the Pain of Inactivity for the Pain of Activity.

It is my Pain of Choice.

I will always be in Pain.

I have accepted that.

But when I look at what I have accomplished in the last 5 years.

How I have reshaped my Body, my Mind and my Spirit...

I know that Living in the Pain Zone is a small price to pay for the Increase in Quality of Life.

Every person has their own Pain Tolerance.

And some choose to medicate their pain.

No judgement from me on that.

I just wonder how those same people would feel if they chose to address their Pain with Motion and Activity.

I see People with my same thought process in the group exercise classes and in the gyms.

Those with limited mobility doing their best to increase their range of motion.

Those rehabilitating from injury.

Those that are overweight trying to increase their activity.

Those that are far more elder than I trying to increase their quality of life.

All of them.....

Living in the Pain Zone...

The Right Pain Zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment