Donations to Discovery

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Things that I Love.... Living like the gods

Was talking to my son the other day and somehow the conversation migrated to focusing on doing, experiencing and spending time on....

The Things That We Love in Life....

The Few Core Elements that really bring us happiness....

The Things that Make Us Smile when we think about them.

So I decided to make a list...

My List....

Of Things that I love or love doing.

First of all, despite the fact that I may seem self-centered or selfish with my Time and Effort, I actually Love Love Love....

Taking care of other people especially my close family members.

That's one of the reasons I love to cook....

Cause I like to see other people enjoy one of the great pleasures in life....

Food.

Ok - I'm already stumbling all over the place.... so let me just do the list and then embellish from there.

Here are some of the Things I Love in Life:
  • Taking care of the People and Things I have.
  • Cooking Great Tasting, Well Seasoned, Highly Spiced, Good for You Food.
  • Eating the above.
  • Going Fast.... in a Car, in a Workout... in Life.  I think fast, talk fast, walk fast.... Ok there's a few things I do slow but it's been so long since I've done that....
  • Listening to Music... all Kinds of Music... all Day and all Night. Can't Play Shit.... Spent a year and a half taking guitar and piano classes at Brazosport College back in my mid 20s and found out I got ZERO natural talent for making music.... BUT BUT BUT.... I am at the top of the list for Appreciating Music.  If you told me I could no longer listen to music the rest of my life, it would be about the same as a Death Sentence.
  • Dancing.... Dancing.... Dancing.... Don't know Why or How but God bestowed upon this Deep East Texas Coon Ass Redneck a sense of rhythm and style in Dancing that only gets stronger and deeper as I grow older.... Problem is that Dancing kills my Bad Knee.... so I take 2 more XStr Tylenol Rapid Releases and Ice the Knee and hit the floor.
  • Working out - the more I work out, the more I want to work out.... Recovery is the limiting factor... Recovery be Damned!
  • Being Outdoors - in the right climate and terrain - could literally be outside 24-7-365....which is basically what I did 2 years ago on my 56 day 2350 mile cycling tour down the Pacific Coast from Seattle to Tijuana.  Love to Hike, Cycle, Camp Out, Sleep Out, Be in Nature, Observe Wildlife - am a Lifetime Birdwatcher - Love to Hunt, Fish, Survive and Thrive Outdoors..... If I can get some confidence in my arthritic Left Knee, I plan on doing the Continental Divide Trail from bottom to top in 1 year next year.
  • Oh and Coffee.... which helps me accomplish all of the above.
So... here's a few images and notes regarding my Life Loves.

Salsa and Tequila - Those are 2 things I love but have had to give up the Tequila....

It's all about Choices...



Iggy Azalea keeps popping up on my "I like this" Music List....

Not sure what that means.... but I like it.



I've always held to the belief that a Leopard Can't Change its Spots.

It can roll in the mud and cover them up....

But then it's just a Dirty Leopard.

What People perceive as Changes is just You figuring out who you really are...

And What You Really Like in Life.

The problem is it may take your whole life to figure this out....

I also think this is part of the reason why Men.... and Women.... go through Mid-Life Crisis.

They spend their whole preceding Adult Life doing shit they don't want to do for People they don't want to be with.... that don't appreciate Who they Are.... being People they don't want to be....

It takes them 45 - 55 years to get their head up, look around and realize - Hey, My Life is way more than half way over and if I don't quit pretending and start tending to what really matters - My Life is gonna be over....

And I'll have nothing to show for it.... No Happiness, No Fulfillment, No Peace.

Just my 2 cents worth...



Honestly - I don't see how People work out to what I call Electronic Techno Dance Music that seems to be so prevalently publicly played in most Fitness Centers....

If you want to unleash the Beast when you're working out.....

Try Godsmack, Disturbed, Staind, Soundgarden or....

Metallica!!!



Speaking of Working Out and Staying Lean....

Staying in that 166 - 170 range, but definitely exchanging some muscle for fat.



Another unique sound.....



At my favorite place.... HEB.....

Shopping for 2 of the Happy Places in Life....

Food for Cooking and Eating.

Hatch Chiles - Finally - they're in Season - Yay!!!



Gonna try some Jicama this week -

Remember - you have to continuously change and rotate new tastes and veggies in to your Paleo Plan to keep things different and changing and Paleo Palletable!!



Another Basket of Beautiful and Healthy Food.

Notice there are no Cans in this Basket...No Dairy....No Gluten... No Processed Foods...

Just Meat, Eggs, Veggies, Fruit.... and Sangria!!



Can you say Paleo Protein Palace?

Ahi Tuna, Salmon, Flounder, Holmes Pork and Venison Sausage, HEB's Preseasoned Rib Eye Style Pork Chops, Cage Free Eggs.



Kind of a Personal Anthem for being yourself....

"Come Again"

You push yourself on me
Force yourself on me
Free yourself through me

You better save yourself from me
Every time you want me to be
Something I could never be
Guess you'll have to wait and see
Till the next time that you have to

COME AGAIN!

I hate myself for you
I break myself for you
I'd kill myself for you
I'd better save myself from you
Everytime you want me to be
Something I could never be
Guess you'll have to wait and see
Till the next time that you have to

COME AGAIN!

If you have to walk my way
Have somethingto say
Get the fuck away
Can't take one more day
I cannot conform

COME AGAIN!



Cooking some of the Paleo Basket...

Baby Kale - quick grilled in a hot cast iron skillet....

2 minutes of sauteing with no oil and they're wilted and done.



Massive Amount of Food consisting of an HEB Sweet Leaf Spring Mix base with tomatoes, avocado, radishes, thin sliced Serrano peppers, strawberries, grapes with the wilted kale at back and a Middle Eastern / African spiced blackened pork chop on top.

I have been putting my 52 year old body under an increasing amount of stress lately by adding a Hip Hop Class on Monday night, Fat Burner and Zumba on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and an extra "Taking it Downtown" Family Fitness Boot Camp Class on Thursday at 6:30 pm....

So I am eating more of everything.... Eggs, Fruit & Nuts, Veggies, Protein, Creatine....

More Speed.... More Steam Engine Room....



And still doing the Intense and Brutal, Warrior Code CrossFit WODs on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

This WOD was a step up....

Warm up was a 750m row - that's a little extra.

and Deck Squats with a 20# ball....

Basically going flat on the floor with the ball at arms length over your head till it hits the floor behind you and then swinging it back over your body till you come to a squatting position and then stand up....

Yeah..... that's a MFer of a movement.



And Wall Balls for 4-1/2 minutes..... really....

Going for 90 seconds with the ball being precisely launched for an "Over" the 10' elevation sign and then "Under" the 10' elevation sign.

Then 90 seconds hitting the target exactly....

Then 90 seconds hitting the "M" in "WMD" in the target.

With Master Black calling out "No Rep - No Rep" way too many fucking times.

This guy is the Real Deal.... always putting you on the Edge of "Can Do - Can't Do".....

I fucking Love That....

Did I mention I Love Working Out!!!

And "FranDango" - WTF

Holy Shit - We get to sprint with a 40# log thrown over our shoulder - Cool!!

Don't know how they put these WODs together - gotta be a little sick....

But Again - When you feel what these workouts do to your body -

You Know it's the Right Thing to Do....

Funny how that is.... What is the most Uncomfortable Challenging Things in Life....

Are the Things that are the Best for You.



I held my own.... but look at the 10:59 by "Willis" just above the 5:45....

That was Will Black's time for this workout and I think it was the Best of the Day...

That's why He's the Teacher.... and the Rest of Us....

Are just the Rest of Us!!

Talking about Walking the Talk - Holy Shit!

Bow to the Master!!

Well Done Will Black!!!



Chalking the Workout on the Floor next to me helps me focus more....

On the Workout and Less....

On the Pain.

Hey - if you think you can do this Shit and not feel a little Pain...

Then you need to go back to the Couch and turn on the TV....

Cause that's where you belong.



Mad Man WOD requires a Massive Consumption of Post Workout Paleo....

Sweet Leaf Spring Mix, Tomatoes, Avocado, Carrot Sticks, Radishes, Strawberries, Pistachios, Cinnamon Almonds, Banana Chips and 2 proteins - diced pork chop and Flounder fillets - broken up and mixed in....

Drizzled with Pecan Oil and Fig Infused Balsamic.

This was one of the Biggest Meals I have eaten....

But look at it.... It's mostly low calories veggies and lean protein....

Paired with a tall glass of sweet Moscato.

My body sucked this up like a Hoover!



This morning's Grande Cafe Americano with an extra shot - so 4 shots of Espresso -  with 4 packets of Organic Brown Sugar, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Cinnamon Dolce, Chocolate sprinkles and a splash of Half and Half.



Going back to the conversation I had with my son....

When we discussed some of My Best Things in Life his response was....

"An Ode to living the way the gods intended.  Zeus would be proud."

I like that....

We should live like gods....

No comments:

Post a Comment