Donations to Discovery

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Random Walk through Pain and Sleep Management....


Yep.... That's what this post is about. 

So why the screen shots of songs I'm listening to?

Cause that's part of it. 

Listening to music when I'm working out, when I'm relaxing, when I'm happy, sad, pissed off....

Is a way of managing discomfort, pain, emotion - both physical and mental    .

Huh? - your body, your muscles have emotions?

You better believe it and your body will tell you what it's feeling if you just give it a chance and listen. 

If you're sedentary and overweight....

And you're hurting...

That's your body telling you....

"Hey Lazy Ass - I wanna go do something. Take me for a walk or a bike ride or let's go to the gym and do that Body Pump class!"


If you're overdoing it, your body may be telling you the same thing....

In fact, your mind and body may be having a heated discussion....

Like your mind is telling your body....

"F your pain and soreness....

I like what I see and how I feel. I like that high I get after a great workout. I like how my clothes fit. I like how much lighter I feel on my feet. I like that people are telling me how good I look. "

While your body is saying...

"Hey Mind.... I'm done. I'm hurting.... I need some days off". 

So we have a Mind - Body conflict....

A staredown... If you will. 


Hold that thought...

I went to the gym this morning....

Didn't do my standard Fat Burner - Zumba classes this morning cause my left knee was hurting.... 

More than it normally does. 

I did do my filler workout - Abs, Calves and Lats. 

That's one of the ways to manage pain....

Work around it. 

While I was there, I was watching one of the men that's in my Body Pump class, Reuben. 

I don't know how old Reuben is but I'm gonna guess he's in his late 60s early 70s...

And this guy is lean and muscular. 

He's the one doing the situps in the foreground. 

There's no doubt in my mind he has some approach or regimen for managing pain from exercise. 


And I'm thinking about my own pain...

But you have to face it. 

There's no substitute.... No way around it...
No lying to yourself...
You have to experience some pain to get where you want to be. 


My continuing knee pain caused me to go try some of the new "cushiony" running shoes... 

Reebok Men's Smoothflex Cushrun


They felt great and I could definitely feel the softness of the soles....

But I didn't like the yellow accents...


So I went home and fixed a good lunch.

Poblano Pepper, squash, sausage, turkey, egg and apple. 

That's another way to manage pain....

Give your body some good food. 


I did some research on the Reebok Smoothflex Cushruns and found out they do come with a blue accent which is the color I wanted....

So I called all the local stores and naturally they didn't have them...

So I ordered them online. 

We'll see if they help with the knee pain. 

Manage pain by trying new equipment or techniques that address what is causing you pain. 


And if all else fails, take drugs!

Only kidding,,,, I'm no doctor.... I just know what works for me.

Only you can decide what is best for you.  Obviously, consult your doctor before taking any medication. 

Here's my OTC pain and sleep management drugs of choice. 

From left to right. 


Generic Aleve - Naproxen Sodium - it is a dual purpose anti-inflammatory
and pain reliever. 

Generic Extra Strength Tylenol Rapid Release - I only take this when I am really hurting bad. 

Glucosamine Chondroitin - for cartilage rebuilding. 

Melatonin - the only thing I will take if I have problems sleeping. 

So there you have it. 

My own approach to pain and sleep management. 

As you get older and especially of you exercise intensely as you get older...

You better have some sort of plan for managing the pain that comes with progress....

Or the Pain....

Will Manage You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment