Donations to Discovery

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sky Rim Trail Route Map and Where I Went Wrong

Here's a pic of the Trails Illustratred topo hiking map for the Northwest part of Yellowstone with the route I took shown with the arrows.

That little diversion down and to the left terminating in "Lost" is where I peeled off what I thought was Big Horn Peak into the very steep drainage that terminated at a cliff.

I had to climb back up that drainage to the top of the slope which was the last of the 3 big peaks BEFORE Big Horn Peak.

As stated in the previous post, I then worked my way over to the base of Big Horn Peak and bear crawled up it and then caught the Black Butte Creek Trail down and out to the road and then down the road from the Black Butte Creek Trailhead to the Daley Creek Trailhead where I left my vehicle.

Total hiking time was 16 hours 45 minutes including the 4 hours lost in the diversion down the drainage.

The last 11.5 miles from the peak before Big Horn all the way out to the car was done in the dark.... well I had a headlight on....

On the positive side.... I took the time several times to turn off my headlight and view the most beautiful sky full of stars (thanks Coldplay) I have ever seen.


All's Wills that Ends Wills.

Good bye Yellowstone....

Good bye Sky Rim.

No comments:

Post a Comment