Donations to Discovery

Monday, June 15, 2015

Beef Bolognese Ravioli - Outback Willie style

I haven't made any sort of pasta in a Coon's Age....  which is a long time, so I was a little rusty, but I assembled the following:

TJ's Beef Ravioli
TJ's Organic Chunky  Marinara Sauce
Sweet Onion, Green Bell Pepper, Carrot Sticks, Kale (I normally have fresh garlic too but forgot to buy it, but there was some in the marinara sauce).
1 link of TJ's Sweet Basil Chicken Sausage
2 slices of TJ's Uncured Peppered Turkey Bacon


2 quart pot on to heat with a little olive oil
5 quart pot full of salted water


Prep the veggies except kale and 2 meats.

I like to take a good quality store bought Marinara Sauce and fortify it with fresh veggies and proteins.


So saute the onion, pepper and carrots for 3 minutes.

The veggies are seasoned with salt, pepper, garam masala and TJ's 21 Season Salute.  Normally I would add Italian Seasoning and bay leaves but I didn't have any.


Then add the meat and saute' for 3 minutes.


Add the kale seasoned with salt and turn and saute for 3 minutes.


Add the TJ's Organic Chunky Marinara and a splash of Half and Half.


Stir, reduce heat and cover.


Throw the pasta into the boiling, salted water for 4-1/2 minutes.


So, at this point, the pasta is boiling, the amped up Marinara sauce is simmering and I put a slice of olive oil drizzled sourdough bread on to brown.

I haven't had 3 pots / skillets on in a long time.... kinda reminds me of better times when I used to cook for my family.....

When I had a family.


Geez, I almost forgot.... gotta add a little sugar to the marinara sauce to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.


Dump the pasta into a collander and drizzle with olive oil....


And season with salt, pepper and TJ's 21 Season Salute.

One of the reasons why my food tastes so good is because I season everything in layers so whatever food it is absorbs the seasoning thus enhancing the natural flavor.


Plate half the Beef Ravioli, coat with a thick layer of the fortified Marinara, side with some olives and brie cheese, grilled sourdough bread and a good strong cup of TJ's Dark Roast.


Let me see.... the whole package of Beef Ravioli was $3.29, the Marinara Sauce was $2.29 and I used only half of each so this plate of food cost me about $2.50 - $3.00 and took a total of 20 minutes to fix from beginning to eating.


And I've got at least another meal to go.


And despite this being a non-Paleo Pasta meal, it has nothing but lean meat and great quality marinara sauce and fresh veggies.  

The TJ's Beef Bolognese Ravioli has the following per serving (1/2 package):
  • 280 calories 70 calories fat
  • 38g of carbs (that's the bad part)
  • 14 g of protein (that's the good part)
Throw in the chicken sausage and turkey bacon and bread and you've got at least another 10g of protein and probably another 200 calories for the whole portion - 100 calories for half.

The marinara sauce was about 150 calories.

Sourdough bread was 90 calories.

Cheese, Olive Oil and Olives was at least another 200 calories.

So for less than 1000 calories..... you got one helluva plate of Italian Food.

Semi - Homemade..... Outback Willie Style.

If you think you can get something better tasting, more nutritious with lower calories and less cost than this in any restaurant.... anywhere.... well then.....


No comments:

Post a Comment