Donations to Discovery

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Find Your Tribe

Was talking with a friend of mine at Family Fitness the other day and relating my efforts to get more permanently located in Santa Fe NM.

I talked about the climate, terrain, but spent more time trying to explain how I seemed to fit in better with the open mindedness, neutral viewpoints, friendly and accepting approach and the general friendliness of people in Santa Fe.

She listened and responded....

"Well, it sounds like you found your tribe."

I had never heard that expression before and it got me to thinking about my own experience.

I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast in Beaumont, Tx.....

Went to college at Lamar University in Beaumont.

Then came to live in Lake Jackson Tx where I've lived for 30 years.

I began in my mid 30s to travel more and see what the rest of the US looked like.

All the while not fitting in with the kind of restrained and structured life frame that bordered me in the Southern community and culture of the Texas Gulf Coast.

Decisions and Commitments to my Family kept me where I was for a long time.

But recent years have seen my Decisions, Commitments and Family dissolve and I've been freed to Explore and Discover the World around me and my own Self World.

In that Trek, I've learned that Life is Short and getting shorter and that the Path to Happiness  is tread by the footsteps of a good Diet, Exercise and Stress and Sleep Management.

And that the single greatest component of that journey is being in an Environment and Surrounding that nurtures your natural tendencies.

Have I found my Tribe?

I dunno....

But I do know, I'm a lot closer than I've ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment