Donations to Discovery

Monday, October 12, 2015

Don't let the Good Life get the Best of You!

I  have to admit it.....

In general, I have it pretty good.

I  am in a state of mind and a state of New Mexico that puts me in arguably the best mental, emotional and physical position I've been in for my entire life.

But it didn't come easy and it didn't come overnight and I certainly don't take it for granted.

I know how fragile the Happy Balance of Life is and how it can swing down and hit bottom quickly if even one element is removed from either side.

Not so much here in Santa Fe but definitely in the go-go work yourself to death, make that money world of the Industrial Gulf Coast of Texas, I heard and saw the "Entitlement" attitude running rampant.

How do you know if you have the "Entitlement" attitude?

Well - if you find yourself saying.....

I've worked hard.... I never had anything when I was a kid..... You only live once.... It's the government's fault.... I had a rough day....Well my parents are rich so.....and on and on.... I feel entitled to:
  • Buy that new car
  • Eat that donut and / or (probably and) that huge Mexican Food meal that's 2" deep in cheese
  • Have that extra 3 beers
  • Take it out on my spouse and kids
  • a College education
  • Cheat on my test, my spouse, my taxes.
  • The entitlement list is as long as the excuses that create it.
I think Benjamin Franklin put it best when he said.....

Nothing is certain except for death and taxes.”

Yep - we are entitled.  We're entitled to Jack Shit.

Maybe..... just Maybe, if you work hard, plan well, follow your plan, i.e. exercise some discipline, dodge the Murphy Law's fireballs and get a good dose of luck, you may end up with a few of Life's Creature Comforts.

And if you are living the Good Life, be thankful and keep both eyes open and your head on a swivel.

Cause there really is nothing certain in this life but....

Death and Taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment