Donations to Discovery

Monday, February 6, 2017

Sometimes you have to just suck it up and quit Crying like a Bitch!

In many ways I have a blessed life, but it hasn't been without its challenges and changes.

A little over 2 years ago I was selling my comfy spacious home in Lake Jackson Tx and beginning to work through the dissolution of my 2nd marriage.

I was preparing to leave the failures of the past for the promises of the future.

The move to Santa Fe New Mexico has been a mixed blessing.

It has more than delivered in the main reasons I moved here which was a beautiful and outdoor inviting 4-season environment but it has been challenging for a natural loner like me to make new friends and establish new relationships.

Throw in some injuries and a left knee total replacement and the recovery from that and it seems like the last 2 years have been a lifetime.

As the days tick away, I realize my life, my feelings and my dreams are not what they were before.

While in a better spiritual, mental and physical state....

I still find myself So Far Away from where I want to be.

"So Far Away"
this is my life
its not what it was before
all these feelings i've shared
and these are my dreams
that i'd never lived before
somebody shake me
'cause i
i must be sleeping

[chorus]
now that we're here,
it's so far away
all the struggle we thought was in vain
all the mistakes,
one life contained
they all finally start to go away
now that we're here its so far away
and i feel like i can face the day i can forgive
and i'm not ashamed to be the person that i am today

these are my words
that i've never said before
i think i'm doing okay
and this is the smile
that i've never shown before

somebody shake me 'cause i
i must be sleeping

[chorus]

i'm so afraid of waking
please don't shake me
afraid of waking
please don't shake me

[chorus]



One thing I have kept up with through thick and thin has been my commitment to physical excellence and there's no better way to challenge who you are and what you are than with a CrossFit style workout.


Even at 54, I continue to put myself through the pain and discomfort of this class of physical effort.

It may sound simple and perhaps even egotistical, but these type of workouts prepare you for the rest of the challenges in life.

They harden your resolve and hone your mental strength to meet and beat anything life can throw at you.


And as important as the workouts are, the nutrition is equally and maybe even more important.

Following today's workout and the 9.5 mile round trip bike ride, I fixed a 3 oz salmon fillet, a 3 oz pork chop and a spring mix salad with tomato, purple radish, boiled egg and blueberries and the rest of my Creatine mix with a scoop of Chocolate protein isolate.

That's at least 70 grams of protein in under 1000 calories and no insulin spiking - low blood sugar swing effect from too much sugar.


I was talking with BJ, owner of Praxis, www.thepraxislab.com, where I do my CrossFit style workouts, about the fact that the last 2 months had been challenging.

I seemed to lack the normal energy and intensity I had before.  I compared my recent lack of performance to 2 years ago when I was doing 2 workouts a day at least 3 times a week - a PIYO workout in the morning and my CrossFit workout in the evening and riding my bike back and forth to both.

In a nutshell, I was Crying like a little Bitch about not being in as good a shape as I was before.

BJ's recommendation was interesting and somewhat unexpected.

"Well - you could try the 'Fake it to Make it" approach and just gut it up and go back to the 2 a day workouts for a while and force your body to adjust."

Hmmm..... this guy may know me better than I know myself.

Sometimes - Shut the Fuck Up and Just Work is the right answer to a lot of things!

And sometimes, you need a Friend to remind you of that.




No comments:

Post a Comment