Donations to Discovery

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Continuing to Expand the Limits of a Total Knee Replacement

It's been over 10 months since my Left Knee Total Knee Replacement.

In summary, I am faster, stronger, more flexible, stronger and bigger than I was before the Total Knee Replacement and at any other time since I was 20 years old.

My weekly activities include 3 - 5 CrossFit Rx workouts, 2 hikes, 3 - 4 10 mile bike rides, 2 PIYO workouts and at least 1 circuit inside Boot Camp style workout class.

Add to that at least two 4 - 8 mile high altitude hikes a week and it gives you some idea of the level of activity that is part of my life.

Yesterday's hike was on the Blue Dot Trail down to the Rio Grande River.


Strength milestones have been:
  • 185# Power Cleans
  • 175# Military Press
  • 275# Squats
  • 355# Deadlifts
  • and now 30" Box Jumps
This is at 54 years of age and 178 - 180 lbs bodyweight.

My Rx CrossFit workouts are usually alongside athletes that are 10 - 30 years younger than I am and with 2 God-given knees.


Part of it is Attitude, Part of it is Desire, Part of it is just wanting to be the Strongest, Fastest and most versatile Athlete I can be.

I tried to explain this to a Friend of mine the other day and she just looked at me and asked -

"But why are you doing this?  Are you training for a competition?  What are you competing for?"

I kinda felt sorry for her because she just didn't get it.

I usually reply to these blank inquiries by saying....

"Well if we weren't meant to compete, then why do they call us The Human Race?"

But I simply said - "Because I want to be able to do what others can't do."

What I can't OutGun, I wanna be able to OutRun.

I wanna Win at Fight or Flight.

Finally, I like the way overcoming these daily Physical Challenges make me feel.

I feel used up and cleansed in Body, Mind and Spirit.

It's like being taken down to the base level of existence and being Reborn.

Kind like the way I feel when I eat my Post Workout Meal.

Today's was a beautiful combination of Arugula, Herb - Spring Mix, Basil, red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, kalamata olives, feta cheese.

Pan grilled zucchini and jalapeno.

Triplex of Protein - sirloin, pork chops, beef sausage.


I was gonna go buy something to eat for lunch and thought through the possibilities and decided I could make a much better tasting and healthier meal than anything I could buy.

The Quest for Strength, Flexibility, Speed and Agility continues 10 months after my Total Knee Replacement and at 54 years of age.

The only limits are set by my own Self-Discipline and Desire.

Nice to know the limits are all Mental and not Physical.

Why did I write this post?

I talk to a lot of people that just say they can't do this and they can't do that.

In my mind and body, my limits are defined by the ability to substitute "I can't" with "I'll try" every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment