Donations to Discovery

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How to make Healthy Food for 2 People for 5 days for $20 - Part 1


I'm dedicating this post to my 19 year old daughter, Amy, who is going through the process of budgeting and planning meals. 

Amy had the benefit of learning how to cook from me as she was growing up so she has a good foundation of knowledge of how to cool healthy well seasoned food. 

And yes, folks, I taught my daughter how to cook at a very young age because I feel that preparing your children for life is the mission statement for every parent.  And knowing how to cook good tasting food is a basic building block for a healthy lifestyle. 

Hopefully, this post will benefit more than just my daughter, because I'm gonna take you step by step through the preparation of one of my favorite feed you for a week dishes.....

Slow cooked braised roast and vegetables. 

Nothing more basic than that. 

Here's what I'm starting with....

$0.97 / lb Pork roast, red potatoes, butternut squash, turnips, celery, red bell pepper, poblano
pepper, celery, onions, carrots and garlic. 

About $20 of ingredients total. 


I'm gonna cook all this stuff in 2 pots: a cast iron and metal dutch oven. 



The hard part is the prep of all the vegetables....

I started with the potatoes. 


I sliced the pork toast in 2... One for each pot. 


Use a potato peeler for the skin on the butternut squash. 


Season the roast liberally with salt, pepper, Tony Chacherie's Cajun Seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder. 


Clean out the butternut squash....


And dice it up. 



That's a beginning....

Read on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment