Donations to Discovery

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pork Chops - a marriage of Deep South and Middle East - Part 5

Those 4 pork chops were less than 1/2 the loin and the entire loin only cost $7.86 so those chops were probably about $0.75 a piece..... the 2 bags of brown rice were about 60 cents a bag and there was 1 bell pepper and an onion and a handful of raisins.... I know I didn't have $5 in this whole meal....

My wife and I ate lunch till we were stuffed and there were still 2 chops left (I cut them about 3/4 - 1" thick) and they were tender and delicious and had that wonderful Indian food spice and smell.

The pop of the orange zest, the texture of the raisins, the acidity from the lime juice and the earthiness and comfort of good ole pork chops with an Indian influence were a home run.... my wife who doesn't eat much meat kept asking me for one more little bit.... and just a few more vegetables please and can I have some of that juice.... and oh I love the raisins in this....

Yeah.... I'll be cooking these again!

Quick recipe:

  • Good quality pork loin - slice in 3/4" chops and dust all over with seasoned meat tenderizer, salt and pepper the night before cooking and seal in container and place in fridge.
  • Coarse chop a large bell pepper and onion - Note: I needed more veggies with all that meat... I'll probably use 2 and 2 next time.
  • Fine dice 2 - 4 cloves of garlic.
  • Zest 2 teaspoons of orange / tangelo peel.
  • Lightly coat the veggies with olive oil and dust with salt and pepper. Sprinkle lightly with Turmeric and Red Curry Powder.
  • Lightly sprinkle the pork chops with Turmeric and Red Curry Powder.
  • Put a 2 quart pot full of water on to boil, salt the water and drop in 2 bags of Success Brown Rice.
  • Get an iron skillet to high heat and add 2 tablespoons of Canola oil.
  • Sear the pork chops 3 - 5 minutes on each side.
  • Turn the heat down to low, add the bell pepper and onion cover the skillet and cook for 3 - 5 more minutes.
  • Check the pork chops for doneness. I like to take them off when the meat is still pink. In a cast iron skillet they'll continue to cook for at least another 5 - 8 minutes. Hit 'em with a hard squeeze from a couple of lime slices and a teaspoon of orange zest.
  • Turn off the heat on the rice, drain the water, cut the bags of rice open and pour into a serving bowl. Add 1/2 cup of golden raisins and a teaspoon of orange zest and a squeeze of 1/4 of a lime.
  • Take to the table and plate.... Make a bed of rice and spoon the vegetables and au jous over the rice and pick up one of them bad boy pork chops and place it on top.
  • It's a beautiful meal that tantalizes all the senses.... it's got kick, it's got style, it's got culture, it's got texture and it's got me convinced to do that again..... first time I ever tried it and it was Great!

Don't be afraid to take a particular style of cooking and tweak it a little bit.... that's what I did and both my wife and I were surprised how good it came out!

Just another great Discovery.... in the kitchen this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment