Donations to Discovery

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Picks for a 40-mile Snowy Ride in Texas




Ok - I did the pan on the Rockport XCS Waterproof boots that aren't waterproof so here's the good news......drum roll please!



Frogg Toggs outerwear -

I have to tell you when I first saw these things I thought to myself - "looks like they cut out some cardboard and sewed some fabric to it". Well, I was wrong. These things work - I have deer and duck hunted in them. I've fished in them. I've hiked, camped, wined and dined in them..... and today I rode a bike 40 miles in sleet / snow & freezing temperatures in them. They're light and you can roll the tops and bottoms up into a roll less than 6" in diameter and 12" long. Anytime it's wet, cold or I just need an extra layer, I put on my Frogg Toggs and I've never been disappointed. I call them "Poor man's Goretex".... oh yeah.... I forgot to mention that part..... my set cost me $50.

Definitely a WillsOnWheels Winner!



Knorr's Pasta Sides

When you're backpacking or riding a bike and carrying your food with you, you have to go light which means everything is in dry form. You can do the Ramon noodle thing and the Idahoan potatoes are fantastic but the dehydrated dinners at Academy are like $5.99 or $6.99 and some of them taste like dirt you mix with water..... so I been looking for something else

I was in Kroger's in North Richland Hills last night getting the last of my suppliesand saw these Knorr's Pasta Sides - I read the instructions - you boil 2 cups of water, drop the contents of the package in and simmer for 7 minutes - just what you need at the end of the day when you're tired, cold and hunkered over a fire needing sustenance. Ok, well I wasn't hunkered over a fire in my motel rooom but I was tired and needing sustenance. My room had a kitchenette so I got out my little 1 quart pot, got some water on to boil and 7 minutes later I was eating a tasty, filling, well seasoned pasta dish. It may not sound like much to folks who get their pasta from the local Italian restaurant for $20 a plate, but for $2.12, I'll take Knorr's Pasta Sides over Raman noodles anyday.



Winner #2 - Knorr's Pasta Sides





No comments:

Post a Comment