Donations to Discovery

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I'm amazed at the technology - Verizon Wireless

















Ok, I admit I'm old school and have fallen behind the mobile technology a little bit so when I got back to Lake Jackson from Leg 1 of my bicycling odyssey I realized if I was gonna do this right I was gonna have to upgrade my wireless capabilities. I had an old LG VX5200 which I loved dearly mainly because it was so reliable - I mean I've dropped it, I've washed it..... and the thing has never stopped working.
My wife also has an LG phone - an LG Env2 - which she loves because of the QWERTY keyboard and flip open screen.
So when I decided to upgrade I needed to be able to do quite a few things / have the following features:

  • Text quickly and easily (no touch screens - I tried 'em - couldn't use 'em - didn't like 'em) so that means QWERTY keyboard.
  • Great camera and video capability.
  • Cell phone internet access.
  • Cell phone navigation
  • Bluetooth
then I also needed a wireless capable Netbook.

So where do I go - the Verizon Wireless Store in Lake Jackson - and who do I talk to - Donnie "the Man".
I mean this guy must've worked there since he was 2 because he knows every single feature and every spec on every cell phone, PDA, Smartphone and computer in the store and every payment plan and package that goes with it.

Donnie spent over an hour with me answering all my questions - Will it do this? Will it do that? How much does this cost? Can I take this and send it there? ...... and Donnie just keeps on smiling and answering questions.

So what did I end up with? You guessed it.... another LG....an LG Env3.... and I love it.
I can text and take pictures and video and send them to my family, my e-mail and my blog simultaneously.....yeah that's right..... all these pics, text and blogs that post during the day are straight from my LG Env3 courtesy of the VZW network. I got a package with the phone which included a very good rubberized Body Glove case, a Bluetooth earpiece and a 4GB mini SD card. Cost of all that..... $100 after rebate w/ a 2 year plan.

Donnie tells me he just bought an LG Env3 for his wife.
....and that's not all.

I asked Donnie about netbooks - he shows me this Gateway LT2016. Come on - this thing has a 1.6 GHz processor and 160 GB hard drive, has a wireless card built in and comes with all kinds of software including a 60 day trial of Microsoft Office 2007..... all for $99.95.... got a thickly padded Body Glove Case with expandable side pocket and a wireless mouse for another $50....

....oh and Donnie tells me he just bought one of the Gateway LT2016s for himself......hey if it's good enough for "the Man" its good enough for me......great minds you know.....

So for $250 I've got a new cell phone that allows me to do a Mobile blog and a full blown computer that I can carry (weights 2.5 lbs) on my bike that allows me to sit down anytime anywhere and create Word documents, Powerpoint presentations, Excel files, edit pics and movies, access e-mail, check the weather and post to my blog.

Here I am sitting in 45 deg weather at Lake Mineral Wells State Park under the stars and the full moon 30' from the edge of the lake typing in my blog.
I'm a hard sell.....and I'm hard to impress.....but let me tell you what....I'm amazed.

The LG Env3 and the Gateway netbook have worked flawlessly from the get go in less than ideal conditions.... and they're easy to use.

.....and Verizon Wireless.....let me put it this way..... my wife and I have been all over the country in some of the most remote areas - like Yellowstone NP, Rocky Mountain NP, Canyonlands NP, Grand Canyon NP - and I can count the number of times on one hand when we've been without Verizon Wireless service for any length of time and it was always when we were down in a remote canyon or valley.
Here's the bottom line - if you can see the horizon, you can talk on Verizon!

.... and yes, I will demand royalties for that slogan when the "Can you hear me now?" thing wears out.
So how does all this stack up in the WillsOnWheels test?

Donnie "the Man" at the LJ Verizon Wireless Store - Winner!

LG Env3 - Winner!

Gateway LT2016 Netbook - Winner!

Verizon Wireless Service and Coverage - Winner!

It's 10:33 pm and the VZW network never sleeps but I have to - GOOD NIGHT!

End of Day Totals:

Leg 2
Day 2
Date Wed, 12/30/09
From Weatherford Tx
To Lake Mineral Wells State Park
This Day's Miles Cycled = 18
This Leg Total Miles Cycled = 58
This Day's Miles Walked = 4
This Leg Total Miles Walked = 8
Discovering America on 2 Wheels Total Miles Cycled = 568
Discovering America on 2 Wheels Total Miles Walked = 36
Discovering America on 2 Wheels Total Miles Cycled & Walked = 604

No comments:

Post a Comment