Donations to Discovery

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Follow up on the Cool Cafe' in Cool Tx









First of all, I had never heard of Cool Tx (population 238). Then as I enter "Cool", what do I see but the sign for the Cool Cafe'.... the sign is what caught my eye - "If we're not shut, we're open.....NOW OPEN".

So I stop to take a picture and this guy comes out of the cafe' and gets in his truck and says something to me - only I can't hear him cause the cars are whizzing by on 180 right behind me.

I go over and meet the guy - Travis Trotter and he gives me the lowdown on the Cool Cafe'. Travis tells me try the Daily Special - it's good no matter what it is.
So anyway Travis continues on and tells me that once a month, the Cool Cafe' has a ribeye cookout out in the front of the store and they have a live band and here's the funny part.... Travis says "Yeah, Chris and Jan will cook the ribeye for you and if you don't like the way they cook it, they'll give you another steak and let you cook it yourself".

Like I said, this place has style.

I knew at that point I had to try this place. I looked down at my watch and it's 12:02 so I tell Travis, "Hell - it's lunchtime.... I might as well go in and get something to eat".
I take a picture of Travis that you see here, give him my blog address and tell him to take a look at the blog tonight.

I ease my bike over to the front of the cafe' and pry my legs up and over the top tube, take the house (called a backpack) off and go in and have a seat for what turned out to be a wonderful meal and a delightful visit in a neat and down home environment.

I did have the Daily Special - it happened to be Chicken and Dumplings and they reminded me of the ones my mom used to make - good amount of chicken, soft dumplings and well-seasoned broth - Fantastic!

I visited with Chris who turns out to be an avid birdwatcher just as I am. I probably sat and shot the bull for 30 minutes and you know what..... I felt like I was sitting at home talking to my family.....

Is that cool or what? No that's the Cool Cafe'.

Next time you're on Hwy 180 going toward Mineral Wells, stop at the Cool Cafe'. You'll be glad you did.

It is definitely a WillsOnWheels Winner!




No comments:

Post a Comment