Donations to Discovery

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Planning in Detail....in general

Anybody that knows me knows I'm big on planning and organizing... it's the Engineer training in me I guess.

I like to think through stuff, figure out what I need, what can go wrong, evaluate risk and reward and make lists and all that Type A personality crap.

... and all that's OK - the thinking, planning, contemplating the mysteries of the universe....BUT.... at some point you have to pull the trigger.... just do it.

In my former life as a Project / Turnaround Manager at a major Chemical Plant site in Freeport Tx, the team I managed was required to plan the material, equipment and labor logistics for as many as 500 people in detail. After doing it for 3-1/2 years I realized that it took about 60% of the team's time to plan 90% of the activities, but that last 10% of detail required the remaining 40% of our time.... get the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment