Donations to Discovery

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Injury leads to Injury

Been nursing a 40% torn left Achilles Tendon since February.

It will be a long healing process, at least a year, if it heals at all.

The injury has caused me to walk differently.... more flat footed.... and I'm wearing 1/2" of heel elevation in my shoes to try to take some of the pressure off the injured tendon.

So last Sunday, I was doing the Cabezon Peak hike.... and everything was going great.

The ascent was fine and some of the descent went well but the last 2 miles was on steep loose shale and gravel.

And I wasn't using hiking poles which I should've been.

And the next morning I woke up with a stabbing pain on the inside of my left knee when I tried to come down the stairs.

And it has not gone away.

So basically, I'm having difficulty walking now.... so basically, I'm a cripple.

I've researched the injury and concluded it's probably a strain or injury of some kind to one of the 3 muscles / tendons of the hamstring that wrap the inside of the knee and attach to the lower leg - Sartorius muscle, Gracilis tendon or Semitendinousus tendon.

http://www.methodistorthopedics.com/pes-anserine-bursitis-of-the-knee

I'm relatively certain the flat footed walking has caused even more tightness in my hamstrings and I've pulled my hamstring at the point where it wraps the inside of the knee.

Stretching, icing, kinesiology tape and active release / massage with a Lacrosse ball bring some temporary relief and allow me to walk for some time without the pain but it comes back each morning and I have to go through the same routine each day just to be able to walk.

It's a cycle I've gone through several times.... where one injury leads to another.

It's kind of discouraging, being in a beautiful place like Santa Fe, a goal I have worked toward for several years and I've been injured and in significant pain most of the time I've been here.

So what's the plan?

No different..... do what I can do without aggravating either injury.

Ride my bike, do Yoga and Pilates, do select Weight lifting exercises, stay on the Paleo and stay light in weight and get as much sleep as I can.

And let Time take care of the Rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment