Donations to Discovery

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Eat what tastes good to you AND what your body needs!

Every time I start to cook a meal I take a minute to ask myself.....

What is my body asking me for?

What is my mind asking me for?

What do I want to eat?

Hopefully, the answer is pretty much the same for all 3 of those questions.

And if it's not, I have to decide how to satisfy all 3 and not completely violate a nutritional regimen that is good for me.

For this  meal, it was a post workout meal which means I needed to get a good balance of things in my body that would allow me to recuperate and rebuild muscles and soft tissues that had been taxed.

So I began with a base of onions, bell peppers and bok choy (stalks and leaves - the leaves are the dark greens in the skillet).

I let that go for a bit and added a yellow squash and 5 oz of Italian spiced Chicken Sausage.

Everything was already seasoned with salt, pepper, turmeric and garam masala as it went in.

 

Plate and pair with a Pinot Noir.


Same dish but sub'd zucchini for the yellow squash, well seasoned diced chicken breast for the chicken sausage and added a whole diced mango in there for a sweet accent.  I wanted something sweet and decided to incorporate it into the savory mix.


Add a few red grapes for a little more sweetness and a fresh punch to the palette.

I don't care what you say.... that's a beautiful AND tasty plate of food and no bad carbs....  but with lots of color, flavor, texture and protein.


This morning after a workout of abs, calves, wide grip chins, heavy squats and lunges, my body wanted something sweet.... so I broke out the Nutribullet and filled it up with carrots, grapes, zucchini, banana, purple kale, juice from 1/2 a lime and the rest of my Creatine / NOS Blaster mix from the workout.


And what comes out?

A Beautiful and Nutritious Elixir that will make your taste buds jump and shout and your body say.....

Thank You!


I paired the Nutribullet Mix with a huge Spring Mix salad with everything but the kitchen sink....

Tomatoes, carrots, radishes, red bell pepper, 1/3 Fuji apple diced, fresh blueberries.


And a half a breast from a Smith's Colossal Garlic and Herb Seasoned Roasted Chicken.


Most people don't realize this is where the Body Battle is won.....

Right there on your plate and in your glass.


I think I won this Battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment