Donations to Discovery

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

What Goes Down Must Come Up! An Evolution of Discovery

So what's this post about?

Well....it's all part of the process.

Earlier this year.... March 22nd to be exact, I decided to take the next step in my exploration or discovery of what was possible with the human form in the 50s.

And I don't mean 1950s.... I mean 50s like years of age.

So I started a very strict Paleo diet - long story short.... Meat, Eggs, Vegetables, Fruit, Nuts / Seeds....

And nothing else.... No gluten - bread, pasta, cereal.... No grains, rice.... No Dairy (that's huge cause I love milk and cheese).... No sweets.... other than organic coarse grain turbinado sugar and honey.

Add in some supplements - Vitamins and Minerals - and Creatine....

And that's basically what I have been eating for the last 8 months.

The results.... My weight plummeted from 195 to a low of 165.... and the accompanying bodyfat melted away... like really quickly.

I spent a month or 2 down in the 165 - 170 range through the summer, then had a pretty significant injury as a result of not warming up.....

I tore my pectineus muscle (one of the 5 adductor muscles).... basically the groin muscle connecting your hip bone to your pubic bone....

And I tore it pretty severely...... nearly a total detachment from the pubic bone.

As a result of that, I changed some things up a little bit.... cause I had to.

For a few months, I couldn't do some of the heavy leg movements so....

I adapted..... I modified.... I overcame.

Started doing more group exercise classes involving less strenuous heavy lifting and more fluid motion and stretching like Zumba, Hip Hop (cause I like to dance) and Total Barre (because I always wanted to learn ballet)....

And I researched soft tissue injuries and recovery.... and found that the collagen cycle (4 - 3 month cycles of regeneration) is critical to soft tissue injury recovery.... and that L-Leucine - one of the major amino acids was critical in that cycle.

And so I started a near lactose free Protein Supplement containing L-Leucine and many other amino acids.

Because I decided.... 

I wanted to get stronger.....

And Bigger!

And I started treating myself to a Non-Paleo meal once a week....

Like this one.....

El Pastor "Street Tacos" at El Jimador.


So how's this new direction going?

Well..... I'm definitely stronger.... and maybe a little bigger.

I mean... come on.... at 165.... there was nothing there, but skin, muscle, bones and a lot of Mean Old Man!


Now there's just more Mean Old Man!!


Why do I spend so much time documenting all this kind of stuff?

Only God Knows Why!

No - really.... it's part of the process of documenting a journey.

I got into a discussion the other day about taking Selfies and the egotistical connotation of that....

And I related in my normal sarcastic way that deep down we all want to show off and talk about ourself and have other people talk about us....

It's what makes Social Media the boom that it is.

So instead of overanalyzing it, just embrace it.

And plus I figure..... I got a few good years left in me....

So might as well flaunt it while you got it - Right?


Packing a Paleo Lunch....

Wonderful veggies - Kale, Bok Choy, Asparagus, Carrots, Squash and a diced Jalapeno on the left...

And the accompanying protein on the right - 2 pork loin cutlets and a thin cut chicken breast and a couple of boiled eggs

And the fruit bag to the back with a banana, Fuji apple and some black seedless grapes....

A lot of lean, low fat, good carb Paleo food....


And yes, I eat that much every day!!!!

It's the Paleo Way!

No comments:

Post a Comment