Donations to Discovery

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Fuck "Just Flow"















It's a pretty bad picture taken through my iced windshield but it's appropriate that this semi-transparent yet blurry image of a Santa Fe license plate is titled -

"JSTFLOW"

Have heard the "Just Flow" byline from several individuals in Santa Fe and heard about the concepts and attempted practice of it by many more.

First off, my experience with the hypocritical nature of this overused Bullshit Life approach simply pisses me off.

I say hypocritical nature, because the "flow-ers" (love the structural pun there) that espouse this Zen-pursuing current, are, from my experience and observation, the most up-tight, controlling, anal retentive, ADD mother fuckers I have ever met.

I genuinely look for evidence of their practice of "Just Flow" and fail to see it and would suggest they substitute the term "Just Plow" because that's what they seem to be doing to everything in their path while flowing.

The reason why the whole "Just Flow" movement is destined for stagnation is because it goes against the basic human nature and nature of nature to do exactly the opposite.

To swim upstream.... To defy the odds.... To stand up and in the face of peril or death - to raise a finger to the sky and say....

Smite me O mighty Smiter!

Incidentally - one of my favorite movie lines of all time.

Just as it is the undeniable natural instinct for a salmon to swim upstream to it's death's resting place, the survival of the fittest of our race are those that look at the slow moving current of humanity flowing past them and seek to upset that laminar flow.

"Just Cause Turbulence" is their more apt motto.

It is why I challenge my body and mind to endure colder than normal temps.

Because I know that biologically, my body adapts to this counter-intuitive challenge and ups my metabolism and boosts my immune system.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Cold doesn't make you sick..... It makes you strong!

I see the 16 other people on my hikes bundled up in $800 of North Face / Patagonia / REI multiple layers in 30 degree temps and I look down at my short sleeve cotton American Eagle Polo shirt and a pair of Swrve cycling jeans and smile while they ask me repeatedly....

"Aren't you cold?

To which I reply..... "No I'm sweating."

Flow that!


It is why in the land of Folk, Americana and Salsa music, I listen to the challenging, blood pressure raising and fist in the face music called Metal.

It is why I look at the World today and am not caught up in the petty politics of the Presidency because I know I alone am responsible for my good fortune because this is the greatest time in history to be an....


"American Capitalist"
I'm a red blooded
Rough neck
Son of a bitch
I'm a goddamned
American capitalist
I've got a kill 'em all
Give a shit
License to hate
I'm that one shot
One kill
Bringer of fate

I don't wanna believe I'm empty
And I don't want to admit I'm wrong
I don't wanna regret who I've become
(Where I belong)
I'm an American
Capitalist
American
Capitalist

Yeah war is the answer
Like I told you before
You're a coward
With no power
Just a stain on the floor
If you're a man
Be a man
Stop running your lips
Round three
No mercy
It's the way of the fist

I don't wanna believe I'm empty
And I don't want to admit I'm wrong
I don't wanna regret who I've become
(Where I belong)
I'm an American
Capitalist
American
Capitalist

I don't wanna believe I'm empty
And I don't want to admit I'm wrong
I don't wanna regret who I've become
(Where I belong)
I'm an American

I don't wanna believe I'm empty
And I don't want to admit I'm wrong
I don't wanna regret who I've become
(Where I belong)
I'm an American
Capitalist
American
Capitalist

American


And it's why when I work out, I don't do Yoga.... I do CrossFit.

I look at all these Yoga practitioners running around Santa Fe and I just think....

Yeah I'd like to see them throw 135# over their head or suffer through a 30 min AMRAP like the one I just did.

And these Yoga heads throw back - "Yeah but you're tearing your body up".

To which I say..... "Yeah you gotta break it to build it and by the way -  look at my body and look at yours."

Enough said.


In this Enchanted Land of Whatever, each day I put myself in the Zone of Discomfort and Pain knowing that this is what makes me the best I've ever been.



And if you think I'm the only one that thinks this way, here's my favorite poem on the subject for the "anti-flow-ers" to consider - 

Robert Frost (1874–1963).  Mountain Interval.  1920.
1. The Road Not Taken
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        10
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        15
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.        20


No comments:

Post a Comment