Donations to Discovery

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Starting the 400 mile Southeast Texas Loop this morning

I've done a couple of trial rides with the new set-up and it will take some getting used to.... the bike obvious handles differently with the loaded panniers and other equipment on it.

I've went back through everything to see what I could do without and lightened the load a couple of pounds, but that's pretty much it.

This is as much as I will ever have on the bike - I'm fully loaded for camping out during wintertime with 2 days of food.... any other time of the year and without the plan to camp out I would be at least 20 lbs lighter... so this is definitely a "Max Limit" case....we'll see how this set-up works.

Based on feedback from several folks who read my blog, I'm going to post to the blog differently this trip... Here's the plan:
  • I'll take the pictures and video during the day.
  • Then download them at the end of the day to my Netbook.
  • I'll then upload all the pictures for that day from my Netbook to the blog and do a "Summary of the Day" post with the pictures in chronological order and commentary and observations added.
  • It will make one post longer but will create a better, easier to follow continuity for the day's events. That seems to be the format that people want to see and I'm good with that.
I've done my final preparations including:
  • adding all the destination phone numbers to my Contact List
  • adding destination addresses to my Verizon Wireless Navigator
  • printing out Google Maps for each day and a detail map of entry and egress to each specific destination
So that's about it.... feel free to text me at 979-285-7219 anytime.

See you in Galveston!

2 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful and safe trip. I have really enjoyed all the wonderful information and travel info. Makes you want to get in the car, RV, camper or whatever mode of transportation one has at their disposal trek out into the unknown. If nothing else one could trace your tracks and enjoy the open America as you have shown us over this last month or so. But don't have to rough as you have done, one may choose to stay at a motel, camp at the wonderful state parks, you have so well visualized for us on your videos, take those hikes and discover something, maybe no one else has noticed. Enjoy sitting by the many lakes you have visited, listening to the birds, enjoy a cup of hot java, have breakfast at the campsite in your RV or camper. Enjoy the peace and quiet with someone you love to be with. Maybe rekindle that love that has grown a little dorment over the years. A trip like this is what sometimes the doctor has ordered for one self. My thing would be to find some of these same restaurants you visited and enjoy some of the food you featured on your blog. But what I have gotten from this is, you can do this your own way, plan it and just Discover America your own way. It makes me anxious to try to this myself. This is a great way for families to have some great quality time with their kids. Get back to the basics so to speak. I believe this is what lead to the demise of many American families. We need to take back our familes and start spending more quality time together. Forget the expensive entertainment that so many of this generation think they have to be exposed to be entertained and have fun. What about a wonderful hike in the many state parks across the country. One doesn't necessarily have to follow these same miles, but venture out on your own and one day I will be able to do this same thing. I have really enjoyed all your entries and look forward to seeing more. Your loving sister, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,
    I think you've captured the essence of Discovering America on 2 Wheels...I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for continuing to support and encourage me. God Bless You. William

    ReplyDelete