Donations to Discovery

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

People Who Talk a Lot generally Have a Lot to Say!


I know it sounds like a Yogi Berra-ism, but hear me out…. Cause I have a lot to say on the subject!

And as in most things on this blog I can only relate my own experience on the subject matter.

First, let’s list some “Conventional Wisdom” on the subject and you know how I feel about Conventional Wisdom – it’s more Convention than Wisdom and is Rong more times than Rite….

And I’ll relate the Conventional Wisdom on People who Talk a Lot through 3 sayings or adages:

“You have 2 ears and 1 mouth so you can listen twice as much as you talk.”  Personally, I like this one but only because I like hearing people talk…. As long as they have something to say and these are most times 2 different things.

·         “You should keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you’re ignorant rather than open your mouth and confirm it.” This one is a little harsh to me as it puts a kind of fear in people to express themselves for fear of judgment. I say “let ‘er rip Tater Chip and let the Chips fall where they may!”

·         “Let the other person talk and then you’ll know what you know AND what they know." This sounds like some sort of selfish lawyer speak (or listen) where you go around on some information and intelligence gathering mission and get as much as you can without giving anything in return. Communication and information exchange is way up there on my list of things I value and appreciate most so if you’re gonna sit there and pick my brain and not give me anything in return, then you’re gonna end up on another list of mine….. and it ain’t the Good List.

So now that we understand the Conventional Wisdom on people who talk a lot, let’s talk about the Outback Willie Wisdom on people who talk a lot.

My experience has shown me that Expressive People who are willing to talk about what they know, their experiences and life in general are typically intelligent, well rounded, happy individuals.

I know most of the People I have met that I rank at the Top of my List of most respected People are all Big Talkers.

Because here’s the deal.

You can be the most intelligent and accomplished Person in the World and if you’re not willing to share or talk about your knowledge, experiences and your 3 F’s – Fallibilities, Failures and Foibles – (and yes, everybody has these)…..

Then what’s the point?

I mean WTF is so cool about being Mr. or Mrs. Quiet and Reserved?

Is that Fun? 

Does it make you more Dignified or seemingly Intelligent and Well-Mannered just because you sit there like a Sponge and take everything in and give nothing in return?

Fuck that!

Now, let me also clarify that there’s a Big Difference between a Talker and a Rambler.

A Talker relates interesting and intelligent subject matter, events and experiences.

A Rambler runs off at the Mouth like a Run-On sentence with no intelligible beginning, end or substantive content, topic, plot or objective in the middle.

I guess that pretty much wraps up what I have to say about Talkers.

And as a Talker, I’ve learned something about appreciating Talkers.

I’ve learned how to Listen.


Hmmmmm……

No comments:

Post a Comment