Donations to Discovery

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Always...Always... Lock up your Bike and Ride Smart and Safe!


Safety and Security is a Huge Issue on an extended Bicycle Tour...

For yourself and for your Bike and Belongings...

As with all things in Life, it's all about....

Making Good Decisions....

And...

Managing Risk.

So I'm pulling into the Kozy Kitchen and it's on the opposite side of the road....

Visibility....Visibility....Visibility

I have 2 forward flashing white lights.... One on my handlebar...One on my helmet. 

I have a Red flashing light on the back of my helmet. I think it's more visible there than being lower on my bike. 

Here's the busy road I was crossing...


So... One Word...

Communication...

With Hand Signals and Eye to Eye...

First I give the cars behind me the old wagging left turn signal. 

Then I turn and look into the eyes of the closest driver. 

If he ain't looking into my eyes, we ain't communicating and I ain't turning!

Once I got the Eye to Eye thing going I make a quick gesture with my hand as to where I'm going.  In this case, I pointed at the Kozy Kitchen....


So now the driver knows what I'm doing and where I'm going. 

If he or she is courteous, they slow and let me go in which case I give them a friendly Thank You wave as I pass. 

Sounds involved but that whole process took about 6 - 8 seconds in this case. 

So I'm safe across the street and I'm at my eating place....

Now what?

Look for a stable place to lean my bike....


I like to find a place like this where there's 3 points of contact - front wheel, front pannier and rear pannier... Kinda tricky sometimes because the Ergon GP5L grips stick out so far...

So I get everything leaned just right and then...


Lock it Up! 

Seriously, do not step away from your bike without locking it to something.... Even if you're just gonna go into a restroom for 30 seconds. 
That's all the time it takes to ruin your day and your tour. 

If you can't find anything to lock it to, at least lock the wheel to the frame so it can't roll. 

I like to thread the cable through the plastic webbing of my helmet too. 

Once I lock it up, I remove all valuables from the Handlebar bag and take them with me. 

Then I try to get a table where I have clear line of sight of my bike. This was perfect. 


Now for breakfast!

Mama's Platter!


Followed by Peach Cobbler!


This Tour has enough built-in risks which I maneuver through and around all day every day. 

No use leaving things you have control over to chance. 

Last thing I want is to walk out of a store or cafe and see an empty spot where my Bike was. 

Kinda hard to have a Pacific Coast Bike Tour....

Without a Bike!

That's the kind of Discovery....

I NEVER want to make!

1 comment:

  1. Great information for the traveling biker and in fact for any traveler. Always lock everything up, car, etc. Great hints. I wish you much safety along your way of Discovery of the Pacific Coast.

    ReplyDelete