Donations to Discovery

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Ruminating on Rumi

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day who has become somewhat aware of me and the way I live my life and my perspectives on it and she said -

I am going to send you something I think you will find interesting.

Now, first off, let me say I am no Philosopher...

But I have my own Philosophy.

I shun the condition of Wisdom, realizing I will never be so afflicted.

I have put together my own way of dealing with Life based on my Life and realize while it works for me, it's not for everybody or even anybody.

And as I have disclosed several times, I am a Life Plagiarizer.

I look for and observe those that are Life Hacking (my son's term)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_hack

better than I am and try to learn from them.

While still realizing that What is Good for the Rest of the World is not necessarily Good for Wills....

https://willsonwheels.blogspot.com/search?q=altar+of+william

However, every once in a while, I come across a Phellow Philospher that seems to have got it right.

Which is where my friend's contribution comes in.

She introduced me to....

Rumi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumi

Per usual, i.e. the Discovery theme of "Raw and Uncut", here is the info straight from the phone text of MLB -

Rumi - 13th-century Persian Sunni Muslim poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic.

So here's a cut and paste of a list of some of his one liners - it's long!

0. Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

1. Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.

2. Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart, far better things will take their place.

3. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.

4. Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.

5. Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with their heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.

6. Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love.

7. The moons stays bright when it doesn't avoid the night.

8. You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens.

9. You think because you understand "one" you understand "two", because one and one make two. But you must also understand "and".

10. What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.

11. Two there are who are never satisfied – the lover of the world and the lover of knowledge.

12. And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?

13. Suffering is a gift. In it is hidden mercy.

14. Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you towards journey and death.

15. Dance, when you're broken open. Dance, if you've torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you're perfectly free.

16. Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They are in each other all along.

17. These pains you feel are messengers. Listen to them.

18. If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?

19. The wound is the place where the Light enters you.

20. Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.

21. You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?

22. What you seek is seeking you.

23. The cure for the pain, is in the pain.

24. Do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know the side you are used to is better than the one to come?

25. Love is the bridge between you and everything.

26. Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

27. You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.

28. Is it really so that the one I love is everywhere?

29. Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation.

30. Travel brings power and love back into your life.

31. Take someone who doesn't keep score, who's not looking to be richer, or afraid of losing, who has not the slightest interest even in his own personality: he's free.

32. Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself.

33. But listen to me. For one moment quit being sad. Hear blessings dropping their blossoms around you.

34. Respond to every call that excites your spirit.

35. If you ever say one prayer in a day, make it Thank You.

36.
You were born with potential.
You were born with goodness and trust.
You were born with ideals and dreams.
You were born with greatness.
You were born with wings.
You are not meant for crawling, so don't.
You have wings.
Learn to use them and fly.

Enjoy, Wills.

And I have enjoyed MLB.... so Thank You.

And in the same vein of continued disclosure, here was my text response back to the Rumi one-liners.

Amazing. Enlightening. Ironic. 

Not that I am in any way comparing myself to such a Wise Man but so much of his philosophy is my philosophy. 

And incredible that so much of his philosophy embraces the concept of Pain and Suffering as the Gateway to Pleasure and Progress - 2, 10, 13, 17, 19, 23. 

And of course the reference to Dance as the Great Healer - 15. 

Perhaps the reason I like to dance so much. 

Thank you for sharing this with me. 

It will take a long time to absorb all this and thoughtfully consider all the effects and nuances. 

I like things and people that last and have an impact on my life. 

And finally.....

Something that caught my eye in the Wiki info on Rumi....

Rumi believed passionately in the use of music, poetry and dance as a path for reaching God. For Rumi, music helped devotees to focus their whole being on the divine and to do this so intensely that the soul was both destroyed and resurrected. It was from these ideas that the practice of whirling Dervishes developed into a ritual form. His teachings became the base for the order of the Mevlevi, which his son Sultan Walad organised. Rumi encouraged Sama, listening to music and turning or doing the sacred dance. In the Mevlevi tradition, samāʿ represents a mystical journey of spiritual ascent through mind and love to the Perfect One. In this journey, the seeker symbolically turns towards the truth, grows through love, abandons the ego, finds the truth and arrives at the Perfect. The seeker then returns from this spiritual journey, with greater maturity, to love and to be of service to the whole of creation without discrimination with regard to beliefs, races, classes and nations.

Damn - Who's that sound like?

No comments:

Post a Comment