Donations to Discovery

Thursday, November 2, 2017

It's hard to see when you're in the Spotlight

Not sure where this post is going.

I got the punchline but no joke.

But here goes anyway.

I was at a Halloween Party the other night and of course, there was a Costume Contest.

The Improvised Emcee was on stage in the process of surveying the audience for the final lineup of Winning Costume Candidates.

But the problem was the light was in his eyes...

So he couldn't see the audience.

He shaded his eyes with his hands and said....

"It's hard to see when you're in the Spotlight".

And I turned to my evening's companion and said -

"Wow - that would be a great title for a blog post".

So that was Life's Setup of Inspiration for this little expose' on illumination.

And what is the Life Lesson here?

I don't know - Some people probably thrive in the Spotlight.

I'm not one of them.

Every time I have found myself in it, it seems that the ramifications of that environment are pretty devastating and life correcting.

When you put yourself in the Spotlight, it's all about You.

All Eyes are on You.  You are the Center of Attention and Focus.

That's all well and good if you are an Actor or Musician or Orator with a Message to the Masses.

The problems with being in the Spotlight are:

Every little mistake you make is highlighted.  There is no hiding, no respite from the scrutiny of the audience.  You can be an Idol or an Idiot in the blink of an eye or in a missed verse.  You better be on your game or you go down in flames.

The second and potentially most important aspect of being in the Spotlight is that it blinds you to your audience and to the environment around you.

This has life connotations greater than one might imagine.

Being in the Spotlight has never worked for me because each time I have put myself on a Pedestal all I've succeeded in doing is falling from it and hurting myself.

I much prefer and am more successful at standing in the shadows in support of those that choose the Spotlight.

If being in the Spotlight is all about Self-Expression but you are Blinded by Your Own Light, then what's the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWVL4B-4pI

No comments:

Post a Comment