Donations to Discovery

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

When I say ______, What I Really Mean is ______!

This is a post that I have content on going back over 20 years when I worked at a chemical plant in Freeport Texas.

The operators I worked with developed this "2nd language" to communicate between themselves about the stupid shit and people they had to deal with on a daily basis.

They actually had small business card sized laminated badges that they attached behind their company badge to refer to for this 2nd language.

Phrases and responses I remember with their real meanings were as follows:

  • "I think you just need some more training" which really meant "You're a fucking idiot."
  • "That's very interesting" which translates to "Who gives a shit what you think?"
  • "Let me give that idea some more thought" aka "Why don't you take that idea and run it up your ass!"
You can probably understand now why I cuss so much.  It was part of the language and culture I worked in for over 20 years.

Nowadays the "Hidden Meaning" of things is much more socially acceptable and camouflaged.

For instance, I had a friend of mine tell me the other day "Well we just have differences in style."  I told her...

"Yeah - what you really mean is that you can't believe I think or act that way!" 

Another good one I heard was "I need some time to digest this".  

What that really means is "What you just said made me want to throw up!" 

Yeah I hear this kind of counter speak all the time and it frankly makes me want to throw up.

I'm continuously telling people that I give a shit about.... just tell me what you think in simple and direct English.

I'm a Big Boy - I can take it - and if I don't like it, I'll tell you as much real quickly and directly.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with another friend this morning who texted me and said she had just read my blog and thought there was "an interesting array of topics."

"Interesting is a nice way of saying weird and deviant" was my response.

Or when someone says you have a "diverse" view of things what they probably mean is you have a "perverse" view of things.

It's no secret.... I loathe the Socratic Method.

I don't like double speak or being protected or manipulated in a conversation.

Just tell me what you think in plain simple English.

And let me make my own conclusions.

That's what I said....

And that's what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment