Donations to Discovery

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Seeking Grace to fill the Holes in My Life

2016 has been a Year that has revealed Many Holes in my Game of Life.

I'll write a separate post on what I've learned about myself and life in general based on the incredible dynamics I have been a part of this year, but will use this reality and concept as a basis for a more specific learning that is the subject of this post.

Grace is a characteristic or attribute I have had no understanding or appreciation of for most of my life.

In fact, I probably considered it a weakness, which, in retrospect, was a weakness.

And a Gap or a Hole in my Life.

Grace is one of those things that is hard to describe but you know it when you see it or experience it - kinda like Charisma.

grace
ɡrās/
noun
  1. 1.
    simple elegance or refinement of movement.
    "she moved through the water with effortless grace"
    synonyms:elegancepoise, gracefulness, finesseMore
  2. 2.
    (in Christian belief) the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.
verb
  1. 1.
    do honor or credit to (someone or something) by one's presence.
    "she bowed out from the sport she has graced for two decades"
    synonyms:dignifydistinguishhonorfavor

See what I mean?

Have had the good fortune of getting to know a person who personifies the Concept of Grace.

For the sake of Simplicity and the Purpose of this Post, I will just call her Grace.

Frankly, it made me uncomfortable at first.... being in the presence of Grace.

It was kind of one of those Moth to the Flame sort of things.

I realized if I got too close it was gonna be destructive to what I was.  Which it turns out is probably not a bad thing.

My Aggressive, Crude and Edgy persona coming in contact with the Soft Face and Space of Grace.

Through the Circumstances of Time and Effort, I grudgingly and gradually began to realize the Benefits of Grace.

Grace separates itself from the Menial and Mundane Machinations of Life.

She rises above the Petty and Petulant and Guides, Leads and Counsels by Presence.

Anyone taking the time to appreciate Grace realizes that Grace is experienced and not influenced.

Grace makes her own way in Life and Parts the Seas of Daily Challenges in front of her.

Grace suggests and provides opportunity for consideration, reflection and change..... Uggggh..... there's that Socratic Method again that I so loathe.

But in reality, it is the best way to affect change because it leads a person to Realization which is the first of the R's on the Road to Recovery.

And in so doing, Grace guided me toward a Softer Side of Music - see how Grace uses those things we value most to affect change in things we need the most?

A simple song from Coldplay - The Scientist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KmhmpaKuk

Brought me to a song from Snow Patrol - a group I had never listened to - and a song I had never heard...

Chasing Cars -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaKr98ktoxU

Every great song has a hook and for me the hook for this song was the line....

"I need your Grace to remind me to find my Own".

Grace accepts and realizes that too much Grace is not always a Good Thing either.

Part of the Grace of Grace is the Willingness to Accept and Change the fact that Grace is not an End all and Be All for Life but an Advantage that can be Honed and Edited.

So Grace gains some Edge and I become more Grace-ful.

Cause we all have Holes in our Hearts and Holes in our Lives....

And Sometimes all it takes is a little Grace to fill them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7WH2j4Y3o

No comments:

Post a Comment