Donations to Discovery

Monday, October 23, 2017

I'd rather be Rare than Well Done but never Over Easy

Where do I come up with these titles - right?

Well it's pretty simple.

Life, Love, Art and Music and yes, even creative writing and cooking is all about Bait and Hook.

You have to throw something in the water that a fish wants to bite.... something alluring, something that makes a passing fish wanna swim over and take a look.

So Bait and Hook.

I look for things like that all the time in observations, people watching and discussions.

Hidden meanings, double entendres and triple somersaults of the spoken word are there in everyday life in perfect gymnastic and geometric balance if you just look for them and are deviant and imbalanced enough to pick up on such things.

So I was talking to this lady friend of mine who is a really nice and normal lady and I was textually wondering why she was even giving me the time of day because of how ODD I am.

And she replied, "I don't view you as "odd".... perhaps "rare" is a better word."

Well - the way my mind works and with my knowledge and passion for cooking, thoughts began splintering into many paths and the extensions of those paths to more meaningful things in life and so there you go....

"I'd rather be Rare than Well Done but never Over Easy".

So with that little unsolicited explanation of the thin line between Insanity and whatever lies on the other side of my Mind, let's put a little substance to this analogous Meat and Egg Breakfast.

And for those who like their Meat cooked Well Done, just bear with me and my meat will ya?

Because the Message is in the Meat.... or maybe the Meat is the Message.... or maybe I've Massaged this Meat Message too much.  See what I mean?

Meat cooked Rare - while freaking a lot of people out - is at its height of taste and nutrition.

As I am fond of saying when cooking meat or specifying a meat being cooked for me....

"It's already Dead.  No need to kill it twice".

Which is what you do when you cook any piece of meat (including pork or chicken) absolutely well done.

There is no color, no texture and no taste.  It becomes what I refer to as "brown food" - the Life and Love having been completely drained from it.

I see a lot of people in the World that are Well Done.

They got the Money, the Power, the "Life" but all the Vitality, all the Vitamins and Nutrition, all the Tastes and Flair for Flavor is gone from their Existence.

It's all about Looking Good, driving the Right Car, having the right Political and Environmental Position and saying things the right way and never offending the Sense and Sensibilities of those around them while always posturing their Pomp and Circumstance.

On the outside they look like any other beautifully cooked Rib Eye but when you cut into them and see what's inside you see there's nothing there - just dried out Meat.

A nice piece of steak done on high heat sears the seasonings on the outside that creates an inescapable barrier for the juices inside.

Cooked the proper time and allowed to rest, a cut into this meat reveals a beautifully pink and juicy inner core that contrasts with the hard spicy coating and releases its au jus to combine and flavor the other parts of the meal around it.

Hard, Spicy, near Blackened Outside - Juicy and Tender inside - that ring a dinner or relational bell with you?

What happens with a dried out piece of meat?  Invariably you have to pour some moisturizer on it like butter or oil or coat it with gravy just to make it palatable.

So now you know how I like my steak and how my steak resembles me.

So what about my eggs?

Well believe it or not, I'm kind of on medium ground.

I've had eggs cooked Over Easy and sometimes there's just a little too much juice, i.e. runny whites.

So when I order eggs, I order them "Over Medium - No Runny Whites".

I get the best of both worlds - a Consistent White and a Runny Yolk.

For me, it's the optimum balance between flavor and consistency.  Hmmm flavor with consistency.... let me think about that.

Now in the Metaphorical Cooked Egg World of Humans, I would also never want to be Over Easy.

I want to challenge the normal and acceptable  - whatever that means.

Nothing in My World has been "Easy" up to this point and perhaps that has skewed and directed my Life Approach.

I want my Life, my Existence and my Presence to be a Challenge to the World around me, to those I come in contact with and to Myself.

I may not be liked but it is unlikely I will go unnoticed.

And of course, the bleeding heart psychiatrists and counselors of the World will just say....

"Aaah, Poor Man who is still a Boy craving for Attention", to which I would just say first....

Fuck You Very Much -

And Second -

Ain't we all craving attention and more power to those at least interesting or audacious enough to turn yours their way.

So at the Beginning of the Day,

I will take my Steak Rare and my Eggs Never Over Easy.

And at the End of the Day....

I will take and make my Life and my Existence the same way.

And just maybe as a result -

You will Remember the Name.

You ready?! Let's go!
Yeah, for those of you that wanna know what I'm all about
It's like this y'all (c'mon)
This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of WILL
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember MY name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDvr08sCPOc

No comments:

Post a Comment