Donations to Discovery

Sunday, January 17, 2016

I ain't as good as I once was.... But I'm as good once as I ever was!

Was talking with an interesting guy on what turned out to be my last hike for a long time....

And this guy was really lean and fit and older than me.

And I asked him what he did to maintain his energy level and fitness and ability to run up and down the mountains like a Billy Goat....

And he revealed what I kinda already knew - He ate a strict low calorie diet flush with fruits, veggies and herbal tea.

And he talked about how he had learned this from his grandma and how he had always been stronger and more fit than his friends in his youth.

The discussion turned a little nostalgic and he related how one of his favorite artists was Toby Keith and one of his favorite songs was a cute little ditty called....

"As Good As I Once Was"

Given my experience over the last few years of returning to a high level of fitness and chasing the Fountain of Youth or bowing before the Altar of Ego..... or whatever you wanna call it.....

I thought it was kinda fitting to pay tribute to the concept that, while we may never be as good as we once were, we can have our moments in the spotlight, where, in the heat and spirit of crisis and competition, we rise above our aged abilities and return to the Wonder of Youth.

So here's to those folks like my 67 year old friend, Elliott, who continue to be as good as they once were!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y

"As Good As I Once Was"

She said, "I've seen you in here before."
I said, "I've been here a time or two."
She said, "Hello, my
Name is Bobby Jo
Meet my twin sister Betty Lou
And we're both feeling kinda wild tonight
And you're the only cowboy in this place
And if you're up for a rodeo
We'll put a big Texas smile on
Your face"
I said, "Girls,"

[Chorus]
I ain't as good as I once was
I got a few years on me now
But there was a time back in my prime

When I could really lay it down
And if you need some love tonight
Then I might have just enough
I ain't as good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was

I still hang out with my best friend dave
Ive known him since we were kids at school
Last night he
Had a few shots
Got in a tight spot hustlin' a game of pool
With a couple of redneck boys
One great
Big bad biker man
I heard David yell across the room
"Hey buddy, how 'bout a helping hand."
I said, "Dave,"

[Chorus]
I ain't as good as I once was
My how the years have flown
But there was a time back in my prime

When I could really hold my own
But if you wanna fight tonight
Guess those boys dont look all that
Tough
I ain't as good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was

I used to be hell on wheels
Back when I was younger man
Now my body says, "You can't do this boy"

But my pride says, "Oh, yes you can

I ain't as good as I once was
Thats just the cold hard truth
I still throw a few back, talk a little smack
When I'm feelin bullet proof
So don't double dog dare me now
'Cause I'd have to call your bluff

I ain't as good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was
Maybe not be good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was

2 comments:

  1. You're right, you're not as good as you once were....
    You're so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, you're not as good as you once were....
    You're so much better!

    ReplyDelete