Donations to Discovery

Monday, February 20, 2012

Random Musing - You can't run your life off an IPhone

Every now and then I'll do a DA2W blog entry that has nothing to do w/ cycling but everything to do w/ Discovery.
Let me begin this ramble by saying I have become the proud owner and user of an IPhone 4S.
I held off from getting one for a long time because Verizon didn't have the IPhone and I wasn't switching from Verizon.
Then Verizon got the IPhone and I had some other dumb excuses for not getting one - maybe I was scared. Who knows? Doesn't matter - I got one about 2 weeks ago and I can understand now what the big deal is. It is a simple, easy to use intuitive tool that combines  many tasks, features and functions in a basic building block of communication, Internet access, camera / video, computer, entertainment center. That basic building block can then be enhanced, extended, customized and made much more powerful w/ hundreds of thousands of apps. Incredible concept, Operating system, Hardware design, User interface, everything. Hell - I think they should declare it the 8th wonder of the world... But it's not.
Now for the hook - I see too many people, families, companies - whomever or whatever - using their Smart phones, IPads, computers, flat panel TVs, you name it in such a way that they have cut out the human element. 
The ability of the human mind and the collaboration  of many human minds goes exponentially behind the sum of all Internet communication and knowledge.
I just got done w/ a work assignment w/ a company that shall obviously remain nameless. They hired me to study, collect data, do evaluations and make recommendations on a particular project. I worked for months and did tons of work creating documents to organize and analyze data so that it could be presented to and communicated with this company's management. Short and meaningless responses to questions, requests for input and attempts to schedule project review meetings were always "Sent from my IPhone". Not one face to face meeting or communication for months!
Needless to say, the project has made no progress. 
WHY?
Because you can't manage your company, raise your family or Live Your Life .... From an IPHone.
Oh and by the way - this blog entry was SENT FROM MY IPHONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment