Donations to Discovery

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

At the Scenic Overlook 'bout a mile from the Santa Fe Ski Basin on NM 475

Like I said earlier, I'm doing a practice ride today for the full scale assault of NM 475 from SF to the SF Ski Basin tomorrow... I'm doing the 8-mile stretch from Hyde Memorial State Park to the Santa Fe Ski Basin. This is actually the hardest part because it's got a 1-mile section called "the Wall" with an extreme grade... I think it's around 9%... I'm already over that hump and have paused here at the Scenic Overlook because it's the first place I've gotten a good cell phone signal. Am I ever glad I had the gears changed on my Trek 1500 at Rising Phoenix Adventures in Bastrop Tx. I've been walking right up this 7-9% grade road in the 1st chain ring 2nd gear which is the 30T gear.... and I've still got the 34T gear left. Perfect setup! Tomorrow morning I'll drive my truck down to Santa Fe with my road bike, eat breakfast and then do the whole 16-mile stretch up and then ride back
down, eat some enchiladas, have a marg and then drive back to camp... sounds like a plan to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment