Donations to Discovery

Saturday, November 3, 2012

So You Wanna Give Up - Huh?


Whatever the situation is.... Whatever it's about....

Mental, Physical, Emotional....

You're Tired, You're Hurting, You've Had Enough....

And You're about to give up....

Not so Fast, Jack.... or Jill....

Take a step back.... and let's consider the situation thoughtfully.

The First thing to consider is if you're about to give up on something.... anything.... it implies you've been working on it and committed to it for some time.... and you've put some effort into it.

That means you have an investment in it.  Are you willing to lose the time and effort you've already put into the object of that time and effort?

The Second thing to consider is.... Are you getting a return on your investment?  Is the effort and time and energy you put into it worth what you're getting out of it?  What will you lose if you don't continue the effort?

The Third thing to consider is.... What is the next best alternative to what you're currently doing?  How much effort will you have to put into the new direction and what is the expected return for your investment of time?

Let me take a real life example I'm going through right now.

As has been documented in this blog, I have been working on a progressive return to better personal health and fitness throughout 2012.

That journey has required time, effort and sacrifice.

The Time to shop for and prepare healthy meals and to work out.

The Effort of grinding through daily workouts at a very high intensity level.

The Sacrifice of not eating more indulgent foods and enjoying more tranquil mornings and evenings.

In fact, I've begun to think about the workouts and the level of pain and discomfort I go through in each workout and consider.....

Not going.

I mean - let's face it.  If you're in your 40's, 50's or older and you're trying to cut fat and build lean muscle mass, you have to do more than just skip around in a few aerobics classes and swing a few weights around and indulge in social chit chat at the gym.

At least I do....

Every workout I do is a gut wrenching, sweat pooling, journey into a battle zone of "Will he make it or Will he not?".

Does it have to be that way?

No.... but that's the only way I know how to do it and get the results I want.

100% or nothing.

So what's my payout besides being in continous pain and discomfort.

Well.... I look and feel better now, at 50, than at any time in my life barring my late teens and early 20's.

I am healthy.

I can sleep at night.

I am rested and relaxed.

Is it worth the journey that got me here and the sacrifices I had to make?

Is it worth the struggle I go through in each workout?  To try to increase weights and reps and intensity?  To do more than I did the last time? 

Is it worth it to skip the chocolate cake and have a bowl of fresh fruit and nuts instead?

In a word....

Yes.

Do I wanna give up sometimes?

Yes.

So why don't I give up?

Because there's no better alternative.  

I mean Come on.... I've had the alternative.... 30 lbs overweight, High Blood Pressure, Knee Pain to the point I couldn't walk, Back Pain to the point I couldn't stand up straight.

Every healthy meal I eat.... Every drop of sweat that hits the floor.... Every quart of oxygen I gulp in a sprint.... Every set that leaves me bent over hands on knees gasping for air and wanting for relief is an....

Investment in my future.... the payoff is infinite.... I'm making an insurance premium payment every time I work out and eat right.

There's nothing else I can do that will get me these results.... these returns.

Sometimes.... it's not about giving up on the current course.

Sometimes.... it's about recognizing what is important to you....

And sticking to the current course.

It's up to you....

To take care of your most important asset.....

You.

No comments:

Post a Comment