Donations to Discovery

Saturday, August 14, 2010

You can take the Boy out of the Country...

In Saskatoon Saskatchewan with the Saskatoon River and 2 of the 7 bridges - the Broadway and Victoria Bridges - in the background. Went to Park City Cycles and rented this fully outfitted commuter style bike for the week for $50... Ken the owner was great and gave me a great rundown of the city sites and food places so I'm just riding the Hike and Bike Path down the river. I'm watching some brave souls water skiing and listening to some live music on the other side of the river.... think I'll mosie over that way...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just joined your blog so catching up.
    Can you tell me which bike you are using as you appear to have several. I guess one for around town and the other you've converted for touring -right? Cheers Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solarday,

    Welcome to Discovering America on 2 Wheels.

    Which bike am I using? As you suspected, it depends.

    For my long distance touring, I have set up a 2007 Trek 1500 with the following: Old Man Mountain Racks, Orlieb front and rear panniers, Handlebar bag and Rack Pack and changed the 11-25 gears to 11-34 gears.

    For my getting around my hometown streets and for any off-road forays, I use a 2007 Trek 3700.

    If I fly Southwest Airlines and I'm gonna be somewhere for a while, I'll have my Trek 1500 disassembled and boxed up and take it with me. It only costs $50 each way to check your boxed up bike as baggage. In this last case, where I went to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada and was only gonna be there for a week, I did an Internet Search and tried to find a "Mom and Pop" bike shop that will rent me a bike. In this most recent case, it was City Park Cycles in Saskatoon. The owner, Ken, rented me the really cool Opus Commuter bike with a pannier, lock, pump, etc. for $50 for a week.... what a deal. It was the perfect setup for riding the streets and hike and bike trails of Saskatoon.

    I have several videos on YouTube that talk about my travels and travails with my bicycles and cycling tours and show how I "built up" the Trek 1500 from a "Road Racer to a Highway Hauler".

    You can check those videos out by going to YouTube and typing in the Search Word "WillsOnWheels". That should bring up all my videos.

    Thanks for the interest and I hope to talk to you again.

    William Miller

    ReplyDelete