Donations to Discovery

Friday, September 19, 2014

Prep'g for a day in the Outback... Feeling like an Immigrant's Son!!!

Ok....Let's talk for a minute about how I prepare for these little Solo Day Adventures back into the SuperUnknown....

Here's a pic of my bike I took yesterday at the Azteca Restaurant.

I brought all the attachments on the rental bike with me from home and have installed them:
  • Handlebar bag (see pic below for contents of that bag)
  • Tube Bag - I keep my map, pen, paper, Discovery cards, couple of small bike tools and my AT&T Mobile HotSpot in it.
  • Note: I have a Verizon Wireless iPhone 4S AND an AT&T Mobile Hotspot with me at all times so I can get some kind of communication out on one or the other.
  • On the handlebars is an LED Bike light with constant and strobe light function on it.
  • Also on the Handlebar is my Lifeproof compatible iPhone bracket so I can manipulate my iPhone as needed.
  • On the lower tube is a High Pressure Bike Pump with levers, bike tube patch kit and other attachments to connect the pump to both types of bike tube stems.
  • 24 oz Polar Bottle with water
  • 24 oz Mixer Bottle with Creatine Mix
  • Seat Post Bag with extra gloves and bike lock / cable and small knife.
  • My Helmet with a Petzl Tikka Headlight on Front and a Red Flashing Light on back with 7 modes of flashing



In that handlebar bag is a bevy of essential items:
Electrical Tape
Pink Trailmarking tape
Extra Tire lever
Small Bike tools
Wet Ones
Toilet Paper
Emergency Water Tablets
Lighter
Firestick Firestarter
Sunblock
Duct Tape
Pen
Trail Mix
Extra Tire Tube
Pearl Izumi WaterProof Wiindbreaker
Mophie Hi Capacity Battery to recharge iPhone (will supply 1-1/2 recharges)

The items above will allow me to survive overnight in case I get totally lost, have an accident or my bike has a catastrophic failure and I can't get out.

Do you consider those realistic scenarios when you go more than 2 miles off the road in unfamiliar wilderness terrain?

Note: Typically, I would also carry a Leatherman All Purpose Tool with me but chose not to in this case due to weight.


Part of the Prep... I wanna enough juice in the Tank for 4 hours of hard core Mountain Biking in Thin Air.


Kinda feeling like this is gonna be another Epic Day!!


Forget the New Stuff... I'm going Old School....

Nothing better than the Zeppelin for that...


Breakfast on the Patio!!!


Nice Views....


Headed over 10000' above the Treeline today.... 

Justin at Epic Mountain Sports (970-726-2868) mapped me out a route back where I came from.... 

Starting at the St Louis Creek Campground, I'll follow the Creekside Loop past Land Creek and Deadhorse Trailheads and take Spruce Creek to the top and take Tipperary to Northwest Passage back to Givelo Road and out to 40 and back to Winter Park on 40.....

See the red outlined loop on the previous post if you wanna see the route.

As my Daughter, Amy, would say....

I GOT THIS!!

Which worries me!!

Let's Smoke this High Altitude Friday with....

An Equally High ATTITUDE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment