Donations to Discovery

Monday, December 28, 2009

Fri 12/11/09 1:30 pm

Day 6

Location: FM1431 out of Marble Falls Tx

Text Msg:

Leaving MF - these people are a-holes. almost been run over 4 times. good riddance! to Kingsland & then ILSP!

Comments:

Riding in and through towns in daylight was where I had 90% of my close calls. I just don’t get it – the people see you, they know you’re there and yet they still seem like they’re trying to run over you or come up 5’ behind you and honk their horn – what’s up with that? Here’s the bottom line – Per State law and the majority of city ordinances, bicycles are considered moving vehicles. They do not require license plates but are required to move in the direction of traffic and obey all traffic laws, i.e. they have all the rights and restrictions of any other car, truck, motorcycle, whatever. Good bicycling technique is to use the shoulder whenever it is safe and practical to do so….when there isn’t a shoulder or when the shoulder is not suitable for riding a bike then you should be positioned on the right side of the outer lane. You ride as straight and consistent a line as possible…. That’s it….. you do the best you can not to get in anybody’s way…. There’s no attitude…. No sense of “I have the right to be here so screw you”….. I’m just riding a bicycle and I’m trying to get from point A to point B without getting run over – so you folks driving cars / trucks / behemoth death machines that are sheathed in the 4000 – 8000# of steel, give me a break! You won’t get any points with anybody for cussing, honking or trying to knock me off my bicycle with your side view mirrows that stick 3’ out from your truck……’nuff said….I’ll step down off my soapbox now!

No comments:

Post a Comment